Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

General question about "Find my Past"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 5 Feb 2020 10:05

When I joined FMP a while ago, I was doing a search for one of my Ancestors and I am sure that I found a way to view other members trees because I found my Ancestor in one of my cousins tree.

I have gone back into it today to have another look and I cant see how I did it.

Are you able to tell me how to do it please.

I am beginning to think I imagined it now.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Feb 2020 10:19

I have never seen that facility on FMP

Deborah

Deborah Report 5 Feb 2020 10:24

Ok Erika thank you.

Must have been something else then Family Search maybe, will have another look.

Thank you again.

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Feb 2020 11:20

Could it be anything to do with this email I received April 2019 -

Get ready for ancestor sharing

Dear Member,

We’re about to implement a pretty exciting change and thought you should know in advance.

From 1 July, the deceased ancestors in everyone’s trees will become shareable. Which means other members may receive hints about the dead ancestors in your tree. They’ll only be shared between members who have common ancestry – likely, a distant relative. Making family-tree building a more conducive, collaborative experience.

Your privacy is of the utmost importance... Therefore, any information on you or your living relatives will remain private. Equally, no-one else will be able to edit your ancestors’ details or see your tree – just you. So you’ll remain completely in control.

This change is totally optional – if you don't want your ancestors to be shared, just follow the instructions in our FAQs before 1 July. We’ll send you a friendly reminder before that day, just in case.

In the meantime, feel free to have a look at our updated privacy policy.

Best regards,
The Findmypast Team

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Feb 2020 12:04

No you can't ( yet) view other trees on FMP, but you can receive hints from someone else's tree. So you might see in hints, for someone in your own tree eg "Ann Sarah Whetman — — Findmypast Family Trees" as the source.

Deborah

Deborah Report 5 Feb 2020 15:07

Thank you for the feedback.

The more I think about it I think it could have been Family search where I saw it, I definitely saw my Cousins log in name next to the tree when I did the search a while ago, that's what brought my attention to it. Having said that I cant find it now but it looks like they have updated and revamped their website. It look quite good actually, worth a look at.

I will have a play around with it later, thanks again for your help.

Deborah

Deborah Report 10 Feb 2020 13:11

Just for reference, I went into Family Search today, and if you do a search by clicking on "Search" and then "Genealogies" to do your search, it will bring up other members trees who have the same or similar ancestors in their tree with Family Search.

Thought it was FMP but was actually Family Search.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2020 20:56

Deborah ..........

do be very careful of Members trees on FamilySearch ......... too many of them are made up of "dreams and wishes"

no real thought, no research, no documentation.

In general, I take trees from there as "advisement" only, and do a great deal of search before even thinking of adding them

They're even worse than Ancestry trees!

Deborah

Deborah Report 11 Feb 2020 06:05

Noted- thank you SylviaInCanada