Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alan Edward Sharman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Damian

Damian Report 31 May 2020 18:18

Hello All
I am looking for the Police number of Alan Edward Sharman if anyone can help me please? Alan was born in 1920 in Suffolk, he married a Jessie Steggles in 1944 in Suffolk. They had two children Colin Edward Sharman in 1947 and Yvonne E Sharman in 1948. Alan got hit by a vehicle on the A140 when he was a Policeman, he died 04/05/1964. If anyone can help me with a picture of Alan with his Police number that would be good or any other information as i believe he spent some time in hospital after being hit. If anyone know where Colin or Yvonne live now that would be good also. If anyone has any pictures of his parents Caleb and Julia they could share with me that would be good as well?
Regards
Damian

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2020 18:46

I assume he was with the East Suffolk police?

"Local police forces
Surviving records of local police forces are not public records and are held either by local archives or the respective police force itself. Not all police staff records have survived. Contact the local police force itself for their records or try the respective county or city archive. "

https://tinyurl.com/yc8znj97

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2020 19:24

Have you done anything yourself about trying to find info?

No point in our duplicating

Damian

Damian Report 3 Jun 2020 16:44

Hello ArgyllGran and ErikaH
I have tried looking up Alan Edward Sharman in the East Anglian Daily Times which is a local newspaper to the area. Have googled it on the internet but had no luck there either. I really don't know were to look, so any help would be good. Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jun 2020 16:46

Only someone connected would be likely to have the info you're looking for

Have you used the 'search all member trees' facility on here?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jun 2020 17:34

Look for Colin on the Electoral Rolls on here

Look for info about both on freebmd

Damian

Damian Report 5 Jun 2020 12:33

Hello ErikaH
I have searched all member trees with no luck and i have looked on the electoral roll but nothing there after 2018 either for Colin. I did not find anything on freebmd of any help either. I will have to find another way or accept i will never find out. Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2020 12:45

Have you written to the 2018 address? It doesn't appear to have been sold recently (per Zoopla)

Have you proved that the 1970 marriage for an Yvonne E Sharman isn't your relative?

There's a matching entry on the ER to 2004 - BUT, that property was sold in 2003

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Jun 2020 12:45

If you've found Colin on the ER in 2018, try writing to that address.

He may still be there and just have opted out of the public ER.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2020 13:08

Bridge Cottage, Gipping R.D., Suffolk, England
Caleb Sharman 21 Nov 1875 Male Farm Labourer Married 89 1
Julia Sharman 25 Nov 1885 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 89 2
Ivy Moss (Mace,Sharman) 24 May 1917 Female Draper Assistant Single 89 3
Kenneth Sharman 21 Aug 1923 Male Grocers Assistant Single 89 4
The record for this person is officially closed.

Damian

Damian Report 5 Jun 2020 13:15

Hello All
I was told by my Great Aunt he moved from that address in 2018, but she don't know were he moved to, I believe he may be in Norfolk but nothing has come up for him at this moment in time. My great Aunt told me Yvonne married a Philip A Mead back in 1970 but on Genes it say he married a Veronica Sharman?? According to Genes Yvonne E Sharman married a Neil Barrett which my aunt who is in her 80s say that is not right. A work colleague confirmed on Ancestry that Yvonne E Sharman did marry a Philip A Mead 1970 Samford 4B Page 3140, this is exactly the same as what it say on genes for a Philip A Mead marrying a Veronica Sharman so one must be wrong and i think Genes is wrong? On electoral roll there is a Philip A Mead with a Yvonne E Mead living at a address in Ipswich between 2002-2004,but cannot see anything after that. Perhaps they moved to a different part of the Country unless they have died??? Can anyone shed any light on this please? Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2020 13:29

Yvonne had not died in England/Wales up to last year

I checked the GRO site - which you can do yourself, as it's free

If you'd used freebmd, you'd have had accurate marriage info

As I said above, the address in Ipswich was sold in 2003

Why don't you write to the address for Colin - even if he has moved, the current people may have a forwarding address. It will only cost a stamp

Damian

Damian Report 5 Jun 2020 17:49

Hello ErikaH
I have only used the GRO site for ordering the odd certificate so no idea how to check if someone is still living or died.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Jun 2020 17:51

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Damian

Damian Report 5 Jun 2020 18:21

Hello ErikaH
Thank you for that, i did not know you could check births or deaths out on GRO.