Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Hammersley nee Gibb

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 Jul 2022 03:34

Can anyone help with this. Margaret was my aunt born in Glasgow in 1901
and died in Beira East Africa on 27th june 1929 aged 28

I have her death certificate but no cause of death listed .There is no cause of death on the form and dying at 28 has long been a family mystery

i would greatly appreciate any help or information anyone can give

Elizabeth

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jul 2022 08:46

If it is not on the death certificate I can’t think of anywhere else you could look. I assume it is a copy of the orginal East Africa certificate.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jul 2022 08:57

If it's not on the death cert, I fear you'll never know.

If she died because of a major accident or other newsworthy event, I suppose there's an outside chance that a local newspaper might mention it.

There's the Beira Post - but I don't know where or how you would/could search its archive.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/beira-post-correio-da-beira/oclc/503472372

EDIT: No, that only ran until 1917.:
https://www.crl.edu/focus/article/6694

If she just died of an illness, that wouldn't be reported.

Depending on how long it was since she left Scotland, the Glasgow Herald might have something, if sufficiently newsworthy, otherwise it would only be the usual minimal death notice.

She doesn't seem to have married in the UK, so I assume she had been abroad for a few years.
There are travel records for a Mrs Margaret Hammersley , born c1901, going to Beira from the UK - but the last one's in 1930, so that can't be her.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Jul 2022 10:16

Clutching straws here, as I see from searches that you have been looking for a long time............

Margaret was of an age where she could have died through childbirth.

If a burial record could be located, it might just also mention an infant... or other cause.