Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Looney .. Male child born before 1935

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 4 Apr 2024 18:44

Hi
I'm trying to find a long lost relative or their family ?

Robert Looney had a male child born to him with a young lady before 1935. The young lady he was not allowed to marry. I don't know her name unfortunately. I do know that she was Jewish and that caused some sort of friction between the Grandparents of the child, as Robert was not allowed by his parents to change to become a Jew. Sadly, Robert and the young lady in question did not stay together. This would have been in Ireland I think, but possibly in Wales.
Can anyone help me please. I would love to reunite the family. <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2024 18:54

Highly unlikely anyone can identify as sounds like any child was probably registered in the mothers name

If it was so controversial at the time sounds doubtful Robert would be named on the birth certificate

Jink20

Jink20 Report 4 Apr 2024 20:06

Given the Wales reference I came across this entry on the GRO

LOONEY, DENNIS -
GRO Reference: 1934 J Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 830 Occasional Copy: B

The original registration has been amended in some way, requiring an “occasional copy” to be sent to the Registrar General (ie to supersede the original Quarterly Certified Copy)

FreeBMD

Births Jun 1934 (>99%)
Looney Dennis MMN Looney Pontypridd 11a 830

I now defer to the more qualified members for their comments and observations

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2024 20:21

Jinks

That birth says mmn was also looney so would seem unlikely to be the one being looked for as poster says looney was fathers name and they weren’t married

Jink20

Jink20 Report 4 Apr 2024 20:41

Understood, it was the only record of the 11 results offered that had the occasional record entry attached to and also happened to be registered in Wales, so it tweeked my interest. None of the results on the GRO have the MMN listed.

That's why I posted it for others to comment on.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2024 22:14

If the birth was in Wales,the father’s name would only be on the cert if he’d attended the registration, or provided a signed affidavit acknowledging paternity.

No idea what the rules were in Ireland at that time

When and where was Robert Looney born?

Who are you hoping to ‘re-unite’ - bearing in mind the time-scale of your enquiry?