Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 26 Aug 2017 06:54

Can anyone tell me how to obtain a birth certificate from USA. My grandfather was born in Philadelphia PA USA in 1889 of British parents.

Regards
Di

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Aug 2017 09:43

I suspect you can't get one from as early as that.

"Birth and Marriage Records

Pennsylvania began issuing birth and death certificates in 1906. Before that time, some Pennsylvania counties kept birth registers as early as the Civil War, and some counties kept marriage registers even earlier."

https://tinyurl.com/yd7hk2lv

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2017 10:10

If the birth was reg at the British consulate you may find it on FMP overseas records

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2017 11:29

You might find a very late birth registration. Although it relates to rural NY, I've seen ones which are along the lines of a declaration of birth & parentage some 30+ years later.

Diane

Diane Report 29 Aug 2017 07:40

Thanks all will look into it

Regards

Diane