Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malew Street Castletown Isle of Man

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 28 Aug 2017 22:35

Long shot I know, is there anyone who came from the above place or had family living there in 1920's. I am seeking any one who would have known of a Jones family living in 8 Malew Street.

The address was a Grocers shop run by a Mr George Herbert Jones he was known as Dibby, he had a son George Douglas born 1922 who helped out in the shop before joining the RAF 1940 he attended the Douglas High School. Mr Jones lived above the shop and ran a Sunday school at the Malew Street Methodist Church.

I am hoping to find a photo of Douglas perhaps he went to school with a family member of someone on here, he was killed in 1942 when his plane crashed near Wrexham Wales.

Thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Aug 2017 09:59

Might there have been a photo of him in the Isle of Man times as there was a short article about his accident in the paper on Saturday 8th August 1942? It might be worth asking them. There was also an article about his funeral in the Mona's Herald on Tuesday 18th August 1942. They might have a photo.

Kath.x

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Aug 2017 15:05

Thanks Kath for your reply.

I have been trying to help a person find information and photo of George D Jones and he has found the above articles you mention but no photo included.

Carole

Carole Report 29 Aug 2017 15:21

Have you tried putting a message on www.isle-of-man.com. This is a genealogy forum and the members are very helpful.

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Aug 2017 15:43

Thanks Carole will have a look at that site, I did post on Rootschat IOM