Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

F.T.M 2014

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joysie4

joysie4 Report 2 Sep 2017 18:50

I am trying to add on and delete ancesters in my family tree I see the F.T.M 2014 wont let me register as the firewall is stopping it on windows 8 laptop also windows 10 pc will this give me more information or not
and what do you suggest I do

Nothing changed when I unblocked the firewall

Has anyone got the F.T.M. 2014

Do I have to be a paid member of ancestry to view changes in the .F.T.M. ???

As I never had any replies :-S :-

joysie4

joysie4 Report 4 Sep 2017 08:24

Ive added more details to my request on F.T.M if anyone can help me as 23 viewed but I had no replies :-(

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Sep 2017 10:55

Hello joysie4

:-( sorry you have not had a reply !

You probably know that Ancestry no longer own FTM and the new owners Macvie have replaced it with an update-FTM2017 which they sell (!)

If your tree is on Ancestry you can still sync it with the 2017 one providing you maintain your sub to Ancestry (but only 2017)

I hope someone else can explain better but you need to subscribe to Ancestry to work on the tree on there and then manually tranfer the info to 2014 but I am not sure why your 2014 version does not work on your desktop/laptop if you had registeredit before Ancestry gave up

joysie4

joysie4 Report 4 Sep 2017 12:17

Thank you for the reply the 2014 also my old 2005 still work on my computers I thought I was missing out a lot on updates and advice I wont buy the 2017 as ancestry has a offer on for the next year is it worth taking out and could they help me with my ancesters in scotland

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Sep 2017 16:36

Yes,in order to access data and work on your tree on Ancestry you need a subscription,once you have the info you can then add it manually to your existing FTM 2014 tree

I am not sure how much Scotish information Ancestry has as I have never needed to look, but there are several people on these boards who have access to Scotlands records and reply to auestions :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Sep 2017 17:01

If you google "family tree maker 2014 windows 10" you will find the top result gives some questions and answers about compatabilty which may help? ( or it may not!)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Sep 2017 17:12

Scotlandspeople is the site for Scottish records. Other sites only have transcripts for Scottish census records. To view the originals you need Scotlandspeople. You can't get a subscription but credits are very reasonably priced. Statutory registration didn't begin in Scotland until 1855. Births more than 100 years ago, marriages 75 and deaths more than 50 years ago can be viewed / downloaded using credits. It works out much cheaper than buying English certificates. Scottish marriage and death certificates name both parents including the mother's maiden surname if known. Birth certificates give the date and place of the parents marriage. Some of the earlier certificates give even more details eg an 1855 death certificate will give names and ages of any children. More information on the Scotlandspeople website.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 5 Sep 2017 09:09

Thank you all for the info very helpful espeashly rootgatherer on scotlands website I will ask my family to buy me credits for my birthday next week :-)