Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help me to find a burial please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 11 Nov 2017 23:20

Richard Linford, miner of Watery Lane Tipton, was killed by a 'large fall of coal' at Dudley Port Colliery in 1827 (Coroner's inquest reported 26 May 1827 in the Birmingham Journal)
BUT I can find no record of his burial. I seem to have tried all the obvious sources. Please can anyone help?
David

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Nov 2017 23:47

Perhaps no bodies were recovered if it was an underground explosion,,,,,but still would require an inquest and a coroner to confirm someone had died. No certificates of death can be got from that time as its pre-registration for England/Wales.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2017 23:51

According to one site, church burial records are held at Sandwell Community History and Archives Service.
http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200253/
archives_local_and_family_history/595/our_collections/13
Have you tried that?

You could also ask them if they hold non-conformist chapel/church records.
Many surviving noncon records are held by https://www.bmdregisters.co.uk

Might they have been RC? Sandwell should be able to tell you were they’re held, possibly still with the Diocese.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Nov 2017 08:09

Depending date of Accident, below could be below Burials of the others named in article...

Edits (when was Richard born?)

Chris :)

(note article says 'Inquisitions held before H. Smith Esq., coroner at Harborne, on Mary Astley an elderly woman who was found dead in bed yesterday week, and at Watery Lane Tipton on Richard Linford and Joseph Leech both miners, who were killed by large falls of coal, the former in Dudley Port Colliery, and the latter in Horseley Colliery.

England Deaths and Burials 1538-1991 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Joseph
Last name Leech
Gender Male
Event year 1827
Birth year 1806
Age at death 21y
Burial year 1827
Burial date
21 May 1827 Burial place
Dudley, Worcester, England
Residence
Tipton

First name(s) Mary
Last name Astley
Age 68
Birth year 1759
Death year 1827
Burial year 1827
Burial date 16 May 1827
Church St Peter
Denomination Anglican
Place Harborne

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Nov 2017 11:47

the problem with the Tipton area is that it fell in a complex border between Worcestershire and Staffordshire. There was a detached part of Worcestershire surronded by Staffordshire.

I've found records at Stafford, Worcester, Dudley and Sandwell archives depending on exact location and denomination.

Andy

David

David Report 15 Nov 2017 16:07

So no one could find the Richard Linford burial but thanks for your messages.
I am puzzled why he wasn't buried at Tipton as that was where he lived.
The Sandwell search facility is unavailable at present.
Yes I had found the Joseph Leech burial at Dudley but Richard is not there.
I doubt that the body 'was not recovered' as that would be very unusual.
David

David

David Report 22 Nov 2017 09:59

I have now received an email from Sandwell to say they have no record of the burial of Richard Linford.................
David

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Nov 2017 18:56

Reading the report,

Richard Linford was killed at Horsely colliery and the former,Joseph Leech at Dudley Port,seems both inquests were held on the same day.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 Nov 2017 06:09

Kay- the former was Richard Linford- the report says:

"...and at Watery Lane, Tipton, Richard Linford and Joseph Leech, both miners, who were killed by large falls of coal, the former in Dudley Port colliery, and the latter in Horseley colliery."

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Nov 2017 06:59

How old would Richard have been?...

Edits (can see Baptisms (FMP) Hannah 1826, John, 1820 Parents Richard, Sarah. Watery Lane, occ. Miner, also Rebecca Lingford 1823)

also on below

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Staffordshire burials Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Hannah
Last name Lingford
Age 3
Burial year 1829
Burial date 02 Aug 1829
Burial place Tipton, St Martin
(Abode, Watery Lane)

David

David Report 23 Nov 2017 08:17

Chris Ho
Thanks but I have all those entries.
I don't know Richard's age - the main reason I would like to find his burial record !
Thanks for your continued interest
David

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Nov 2017 09:37

(yes was trying to see if anything else Tipton St. Martin, as Hannah above, 1827, only one below 20th May. Searching without surname, just Richard)

Drew Richard 1800 1827 Staffordshire Burials Tipton, St Martin, Staffordshire, England (Find My Past)
(Age 27. Abode, Watery Lane)

David

David Report 23 Nov 2017 10:56

Chris Ho
Thanks for that. I have just checked and exactly the same entry appears in the Freereg website.
Everything fits except the surname ! If this is our man how could such an error occur?
I will try to find image of the entry. Could it be a transcription error? If necessary I could ask for the original register to be checked
AND can we find a baptism to fit birth in about 1800 (he married in 1818)
David

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 Nov 2017 12:02

Image is on FMP-

Definitely states Richard DREW 20th May 1927 Watery Lane age 27
----------------------

There are other Drews buried Tipton that have the address Watery Lane.

Amos Drew buried 1821 age 24

Looks like Amos was executed after being sentenced to death! I see a baptism for Amos- but not for Richard.