Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions for where to save my tree please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 16 Nov 2018 18:41

I’ve spent many years on and off tracing my ancestors and used FTM 2010 and Ancestry to build and save all sources. My computer has Windows 10 which is incompatible with the FTM 2010. ??
Unfortunately I can’t keep paying for Ancestry subs and wondered if anyone has managed to save their tree as a GEDCOM and installed/saved it where I can open with most of my research intact?
I know photos aren’t saved when you export from Ancestry.
Is it worth £80 for FTM 2017 or are there other alternatives?
What I really need is to be able to print off 7 generations of my direct line so I have a hard copy to work from.
Sorry for the long post but I’m getting desperate.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Nov 2018 18:54

have you looked in familysearch its free

https://www.familysearch.org

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2018 18:56

You can still access your tree on Ancestry even if you allow your subs to lapse. What you won't be able to view online are the records you'd previously saved.

Although not a FTM user, others have said that the records are downloaded & saved on your device. Someone would need to confirm if that is the case.

£80 is a lot of money unless it includes a few months sub to Ancestry. Can you see if places such as ebay have a stand-alone version?

Personally, I'd recommend an offline tree as well as one on the internet. You have more control over it that way.

There are a number of products available, ranging to free to around the £40 mark.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 17 Nov 2018 19:05

Why not put it on here too then you can always access it.

I did that with FTM too but mine was a bit older than yours 2006 and now I am on Windows 10 it is not campatable.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 18 Nov 2018 11:39

Thanks for the replies so far.
So disappointed Mel that Windows 10 isn’t compatible with FTM 2010 but I suppose it’s 8 years older now.
I’ve joined Familysearch.org but not uploaded my tree there yet.
I’m really looking for something I can work on offline. I’ve been looking on EBay for CD software that will do the job.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Nov 2018 12:25

I use Roots Magic, for an offline tree:

Info here:
https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

That link is for the free version, though there's also a paid version available.

It was easy to upload a GEDCOM file to it.
I wasn't including photos or records in the GEDCOM, so can't say how well it works for that, but as it's free, you could give it a try. If it doesn't do what you want, at least you won't have lost any money.

If you have the records etc saved somewhere other than your present tree, you can easily add them to Rootsmagic afterwards, if necessary.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Nov 2018 12:48

This is the one I use
https://www.family-historian.co.uk Version 6.

There could be earlier 2nd hand versions available.

The advantages of off-line trees are that you can add information not suitable for publication or distantly related Living Relatives. I was shocked when someone uploaded personal info I’d shared to familysearch. Kept off line, fine. Published on the www & possibly upsetting living descendants, not.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Nov 2018 16:36

I use FTM 2005 which is compatible with Windows 10. The advantage of FTM over many others is that it is not a download, but a separate CD. If you back up your work on a memory stick, or similar, you can reload it all without trouble on to a new computer.

I have heard before that FTM 2010 is not compatible with Windows 10, but I didn't know 2006 wasn't.

I don't like ebay, although there are probably some for sale on it, but I have just looked at Preloved (similar, but free and not an auction site. You deal direct with the seller.) There is a Family Historian version 4 for sale for £10 (plus postage - the seller is in Powys). It says it is Windows 10 compatible. The website link is below.

https://tinyurl.com/ycu7eor9

Kense

Kense Report 20 Nov 2018 16:56

FTM versions should work OK with Windows 10. When Windows 10 arrived it was mainly FTM 2010 users who reported problems installing or running it but, as far as I know, those problems were all sorted.

The main compatibility problem is syncing with Ancestry trees. Only FTM 2017 has that capability now and users with the McKiev versions had free upgrades to 2017. Some versions of Roots Magic also have the sync facility.

If you have a lot of media items to keep in your tree then the syncing facility is a great help.