Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry/New Beta Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Feb 2019 15:49

Do you have a Tree on Ancestry,have you got their latest"improvement" ?

Being rolled out gradually,so not everyone has it yet.

Here is what the DNA Geek has to say about it.

https://thednageek.com/2019/02/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Feb 2019 17:27

My main trees are off line. Although I saw the beta tags were available, it’s not something that interests me.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 1 Mar 2019 09:58

I ought to have made it clear that it is intended to replace DNA Circles and the present method of DNA matching -I see even more "dodgy" trees if people accept the suggested ancestors offered in "Thrulines" without checking them :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Mar 2019 10:26

There seems to be mixed views on their FB page. Some, like you, are fed up with dodgy trees where they can’t work out the connection. Others wonder why they don’t have the previous match with siblings, cousins or parents.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Mar 2019 10:31

One post ....

Why are most of my ThruLines like this? They are not DNA matches and the possible ancestors are not in my tree either. Here is one stating who my Paternal Grandfather is (no, it isn't) along with that I have no DNA connections through this person... well, they are not in my tree so no surprise there. Please add a Delete/Hide/Ignore option...

Others are complaining the filter option either isn’t available or has been removed.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Mar 2019 13:09

If it's as dodgy as Ancestry's "Suggested Records" which already pop up beside any census or other record you look at on Ancestry, it'll have to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

But I don't have a tree on Ancestry, so can't really comment.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 1 Mar 2019 16:02

I also have "suggested" names who I have "no DNA match with" and cannot find a Delete button !!

Having opted to try BETA there does not appear to be a way of returning to the old system either :-S

Flip

Flip Report 1 Mar 2019 22:09

I elected not to try BETA version, because there always seems to be problems in their trials (and like Elizabeth has said, not always possible to revert to old system).

On another point, has anyone tried exporting their ancestry DNA to other sites? I got some good results from Myheritage, but tried "LivingDNA" which I believe is connected to FMP (or it said so, when I looked at FMP DNA testing) - but 3 weeks down the line don't have a single match!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2019 09:59

With Ancestry, the more people copy a mistake the more 'correct' it becomes.

I'd love to know how some of my Dna matches actually match, but having read the forum link in a newsletter from another site I am most worried.

As I read it, Ancestry correct your fully researched tree with their own 'correct' version.
I only have a very tiny tree on Ancestry so I could do it.

If I did read this correctly, then anyone with their only version of their tree on Ancestry then all their hard work could be thoroughly messed up.

I am sticking with match labelling with Chrome and staying clear of the beta trial.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Mar 2019 10:37

Flip
I tested with Ancestry and transferred my DNA Raw Data to FTDNA and My Heritage
I also tested with LivingDNA and have had no matches from them but with the LivingDNA transferred to GEDmatch I have had some matches with others who have tested with them and transferred.

My Heritage has it's samples tested at the FTDNA lab(theydo not have a lab of their own) but do their own Analysis of the results using their own criteria.

Namelessone
Ancestry do not actually alter the trees,they "scan" all the trees on the site(including the Private ones) and suggest "Potential Ancestors" with a link to the Tree and owner they are taken from,a bit like the "Hints" but at least you could get rid of them!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2019 12:12

Flip
I exported my Ancestry Dna to My Heritage a few months ago. Mixed results. I have one complicated line so didn't bother contacting the top name as I now it is that line. The 2nd name contacted ME. One big chunk of matching CMs and no apparent relationship we can find.

Elizabeth K
I've double checked the T & Cs so can now post the link to the latest Lost Cousins newsletter: https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/latefeb19news.htm

It makes scary reading, but the posts may just refer to the Thru Lines but it is not the way they read. Got the OH to read through the posts, who commented that Ancestry were editing trees! :-S

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Mar 2019 16:22

I have seperated my trees on Ancestry,my maternal line is seperate from the paternal one.
I have attached the DNA to the maternal one in an effort to untangle my Irish roots with some success!

I have my paternal line back to the 1600s.

However since autDNA is from both parents that maybe why my Trulines are such a mess,the system is matching only the names in the maternal tree?!

The actual trees are unaltered in any way,nothing done to them except by me

Edited to add
So far

:-| :-|

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2019 12:41

My paternal Grandfather was illegitimate, his mother went on to marry a man ten years later who I did not consider as a possible father, as he was only 15 when my Grandfather was born. ThruLines have now suggested that he is my Great grand father as I have a DNA match with a couple of others who are descended from this mans siblings. I don't know what to think, any suggestions please.

Flip

Flip Report 11 Mar 2019 13:39

Not sure where/when you are looking. Start with the likelihood of him being your GGF at 15, how old was your GGM when your grandfather was born? Did your GGM have further children after she married the man in question - and if so are there any descendants who could take the test?

If you are being hinted to connecting to the mans siblings descendants - it may be a completely wrong hint (eg if pretty localised many people are related somehow), or it could be that his father could be the link and potentially your GGF??

Kense

Kense Report 11 Mar 2019 21:31

It seems quite likely that he was your GGF as 15 is not too young to father a child. Indeed a boy could marry at 14 less than 100 years ago, with the consent of parents.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Mar 2019 12:00

My Grandfather was born in 1875 when his mother was 20, five years older than the suggested TruLines father. After marriage they had 3 children, only 2 survived into adulthood, I expect these children have descendants, but I don't know them.
It would be good to break down a brick wall, but I am still sceptical. Don't know where else to go to get further proof.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 12 Mar 2019 15:53

This is a link to Roberta Estes latest blog on Ancestry TruLines

https://dna-explained.com/2019/03/11/ancestrys-thrulines-dissected-how-to-use-and-not-get-bit-by-the-gators/