Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

non legal name change on death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mookins

mookins Report 5 Mar 2019 12:46

hi all
i had my surname changed when i was 4yrs old, only recently found out (now 39yrsold) that it wasnt done legally, anyways it got me thinking about my sister who also had her name changed (non legally) her death certificate says the new surname not her birth certificate name....any words other that oh my days have I opened a whole can of whoopsie!!

thank you all in advance

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2019 12:53

You can call yourself whatever you choose, as long as there is no intent to deceive or defraud.

The change in your case is perfectly legal - simply not documented

mookins

mookins Report 5 Mar 2019 12:56

ok well thats a relief on my behalf, thank you. Does it matter about the death certificate though, was worried as its a legal document
thanks again

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2019 12:59

I wouldn't think so- her death was registered in the name by which she was known, and no lies were told.

mookins

mookins Report 5 Mar 2019 13:02

well that makes my week a whole lot brighter, thank you so very much, my mind went into overdrive imagining all sorts

thank you kindly

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Mar 2019 14:05

My grandfather was German
His name was Josef willhelm Friedrich Fahse

We always knew he was German and that he had anglised his name

We knew him as Frederick Fasey and my dad was named after him

Grandfather joined the British army in 1896 and served in the second Boar War
He lied and said he was British and born in Bradford Yorkshire.he wasn't but his youngest brother was .
He married grandma as Frederick Fasey in 1902 and died in 1911 still as Frederick Fasey

Only recently found his correct name

But we were all surname Fasey as that was the name he used

He didn't take naturalisation either

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2019 20:04

You can take any name you like as long it is not for illegal purposes (eg, deceit, criminal activities), and that name becomes the name by which you are known.

I don't know whether it still happens, but when I was growing up in the 1950s and '60s, the local newspaper would often carry under the heading Legal Notices notices from individuals saying something like the following ..........

To Whoever this may concern, as of March 15 1960 I, John Biggs, will be known as Simon Smith. Simon Smith has no responsibility for any debts incurred by John Biggs. Signed Simon Smith, dated March 10 1960.

Then "Simon" had to let people know ......... make sure his employer changed the name, made sure the bank knew, etc etc.

Then it was all legal, for the price of an ad in the paper.

Other people didn't go that far, just made sure to inform those who had to know.