Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

junemac

junemac Report 3 Apr 2019 23:07

Silly question I guess I have had a request to share my tree ,which I'm happy to do ,but its so long since I've had any contacts I have no idea how to open it ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Apr 2019 23:49

june ............

to be honest, neither have I!!!

I have had 3 or 4 requests to "share my tree" emails from GR over the last year, but there has then not been a pm on GR, nor could I find any other means of finding out who it was

I rarely share my tree anyway ;-)

junemac

junemac Report 4 Apr 2019 00:19

Thanks Sylvia maybe someone can help us both .This request is from a branch I don't know much about so thrilled to try and find out more .

junemac

junemac Report 4 Apr 2019 00:36

Hi Sylvia I just found it ,on the actual message it says allow to view my tree you click on that to allow access .Now I don't have great eyesight but its taken me quite a while to find .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2019 01:22

Yes .................

but do I want to see that tree, or let them see my tree, just on spec?!

That's really what I would like to be able to find out.

The emails I've had have not made clear the name that connects us (or might connect)

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 5 Apr 2019 16:39

I have started an exchange of messages with anyone who has contacted me in the past to get details of how they feel we are connected and usually I send them specific information about the person/family where we actually have a connection.

I often then correspond directly by email to exchange further information etc and don't normally open up my tree unless I am convinced we have a strong connection. Don't know if that helps?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2019 17:35

Terry ............

that really does help!

If someone contacts me with a specific name(s), then I start corresponding with them, either through the pm system on GR or by email. I provide information when I am satisfied that we really are connected.

Unfortunately, GR have some standard pms that pop up when someone finds a name in a tree. There are some boxes that people can just tick ............

"Share Your Tree" is one

"I've opened my tree to you" is another.

That tells me nothing, and I'm afraid I don't respond to them, and I am not alone!

I have however never opened my tree in its entirety (it is not very big on here anyway) ................ too many people have turned out to be just name collectors, who take the whole tree and add it onto their own, not matter how much or how little connection there is. I share the branch that connects us.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Apr 2019 10:51

You can start and stop sharing your tree by ticking boxes in your contacts list.

I think there is a problem if you remove someone from your contacts it doesn't remove their tree from the list of trees that you can see.

Rubygem

Rubygem Report 13 Apr 2019 23:51

I used to open my tree but that got stopped straight away after I watched 2 members copy and paste my tree in no time, so since then genealogy reports was done, if members matched my tree.

For some reason I can't see all my contacts regarding the trees :-S