Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Replacement Gravestone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Apr 2019 14:28

Has anyone else attempted this??? :-S

Some years ago I found the grave of one of my g-g-grandfathers (his wife and young daughter also buried there and commemorated). I was so pleased as this is the only marked grave I have ever found for any of my family.

Recently the stone was damaged (not maliciously, just wear) and I would like to replace it. I liaised with a local stonemason, no problems there. However there are strict rules about churchyard gravestones, again not really a problem as I want something plain and 'in keeping'.

I've contacted the local 'Rev' and she's happy but there is paperwork and red tape involved. The difficult bit is that she has asked if I am the only existing relative of my g-g-grandfather!! Well, I shouldn't think so as he had a number of children, I haven't followed those lines down to the present day. She needs to 'ask permission' of any other family members! Can I safely lie about this?? x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Apr 2019 14:42

Why not try some research?

When was the last burial in the grave?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Apr 2019 14:48

1892, I have all of his children on my tree but haven't gone down the branches to the present day, most of them had at least 5 or 6 offspring, it could take years... :-)

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 8 Apr 2019 15:39

I cannot see a problem if the inscription is to remain the same.
If you tell a fib, I hardly think they will do any research to prove you wrong.
There could be over 100 living relatives. It's ridiculous to expect you to name them all.

Good luck.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Apr 2019 16:06

Checking online, I can't see any reference to the need to have the permission of all living relatives. The only person who needs to give permission seems to be the one who holds the title deeds to the plot.

BUT...........................I have looked at only a few sites

Carole

Carole Report 8 Apr 2019 18:03

Hi
I don't know whether the regulations vary from council to council .
My family had 2 graves in Cheshire, the grave papers were in my great grandmother's name. At one time anyone could have the grave restored but I had to prove the line from my great grandmother to my mother (who was still alive then) and had to take my mother to a solicitor to swear an oath that the information was correct. My mother then transferred the graves to me. It cost £195 + the solicitors fee of £10. I was lucky as each generation only had 1 child so it was a direct line.
I recently have asked a local stone mason to undertake some work on one of the graves and he asked to see my proof of ownership.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 11 Apr 2019 11:59

Have done this for one set of great grandparents buried in Milton Road cemetery, Portsmouth. Headstone had been removed as it had become unsafe. They are the only two people in a four person grave. And the rights had expired, so anyone could be buried there.
Step one. Purchased the rights.
Step two. Get a new stone. In this cemetery I could only have a flat stone, so I did just that.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Apr 2019 04:58

Rights to a grave form part of an estate of a deceased person.
My friend had the paperwork for her late mother's grave, but as her father had later remarried and eventually died without leaving a Will, all rights had passed to my friend's stepmother and on her death to stepmother's 2 children of her first marriage.

My friend had to ask the permission of these 2 step siblings before being able to bury her disabled brother with his mother.
Friend also had to swear an oath with a solicitor before she could proceed with the burial.

Realistically, you couldn't be expected to contact ALL descendants of your great great grandfather, but I wouldn't lie either.
If you could draw up some sort of agreement with descendants that you do know of, maybe that would be sufficient to satisfy the red tape.