Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 9 May 2019 15:40

My uncle marr an lady/aunt who was adopted by the sister of her birth mother (both her birth parents were killed circa 1940) she took the adoption parents surname of Adams, her brother and sister adopted else where kept their birth parents name father Headon mother Webb,,, the Adams also adopted another girl who they regarded as an Adams, her birth parents were father Capellier, mother Dawson unmarried,,,, ( they had previously married others)
The Adams had several of their own children.
I have all the information about them, a little complicated, how does one enter the info into ones tree

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 May 2019 17:16

More than a little complicated, Helen!

GR doesn't really allow for situations like that.

It seems to me you have two options.

Either :
1) enter your aunt as the daughter of her birth mother, with a note to say she was adopted by the Adams parents. And I would add a note to the Adams parents' entries, to say that they had adopted your aunt and the other girl.

Or
2) enter your aunt as the child of the Adamses, with a note to say she was adopted by them but was really their niece. And a note to her birth mother's entry to say that she was the mother of your aunt, but that her sister adopted the child.

But maybe someone else will have some other idea!

Helen

Helen Report 9 May 2019 20:47

Thank you,,,, we have done note 1,,, just doesn't give all the history which leaves out all rest of the family which is a shame,,,,, regards