Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Checking ancestors in 1841 and 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 May 2019 11:56

I am revisiting old findings and would like help please checking the parentage of a direct ancestor, Herbert SKERRETT b. abt 1837 in Ullingswick, Herefordshire.

This is probably him in 1841...........

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8978/HEFHO107_418_420-0464?pid=4564686&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=SwA2314&_phstart=successSource

I think his father died before the next census, but where is his mother in 1851?

Shows a Herbert SHERRETT of about the right age, but attributed as son of someone else.

Can anyone clarify what it says for Ellinor, immediately above Herbert in 1851 census, please?

I have all later information about Herbert, it's his parents / siblings I'm checking.

alviegal

alviegal Report 29 May 2019 12:36

This one?

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Pool House, Ullingswick, Bromyard, Herefordshire, England

Ellenor Skerrett Daughter Unmarried Female 16 1835 Farming (33) Acres Employing 1 Laborer The Mother A Widow On A Visite From Home Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Herbert Skerrett Son - Male 14 1837 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Margaret Page Visitor - Female 2 1849 granddaughter to widow Sherrett - Standford Bishop Herefordshire, England

Also got these Skerretts on the page previous.

William Skerrett Sr Head Married Male 70 1781 Farmer Of (50) Acres Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Ester Skerrett Wife Married Female 59 1792 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
John Skerrett Son Unmarried Male 30 1821 Employed On The Farm Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Thomas Skerrett Son Unmarried Male 29 1822 Employed On The Farm Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England

and

William Skerrett Jr Head Married Male 34 1817 Agricultural Laborer Formaly A Farmer Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Harriet Skerrett Wife Married Female 25 1826 Employed Out Door Work Hanbury, Worcestershire, England
John Skerrett Son - Male 6 1845 Scholar Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
William Skerrett Son - Male 4 1847 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
George Skerrett Son - Male 4 1847 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Caroline Skerrett Daughter - Female 3 1848 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Thomas Skerrett Son - Male 0 1851 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 May 2019 12:46

Thank you alviegal, yes that is the correct one.

I've just viewed the image again and realised that they are in fact recorded as another household to the previous entry of SHERRETTs (should be SKERRETT

Please can you see mother Elizabeth? wherever she is visiting?

safc

safc Report 29 May 2019 12:46

Record Transcription:
Herefordshire Baptisms

First name(s) Herbert
Last name Skerrett
Sex Male
Birth year -
Baptism year 1837
Baptism date 28 May 1837
Place Ullingswick
Father's first name(s) John
Father's last name Skerrett
Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
Mother's last name -
County Herefordshire
Country England
Record set Herefordshire Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Baptisms
Collections from England, Great Britain

alviegal

alviegal Report 29 May 2019 12:49

1861 for info.

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Gobbetts, Street End, Ullingswick, Bromyard, Herefordshire, England

Elizabeth Sherrett Head Widow Female 69 1792 Farmer Of 36 Acres Bitterley, Shropshire, England
Herbert Sherrett Son Unmarried Male 23 1838 Farmers Son Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Daniel Ramsden Son In Law Married Male 26 1835 Commercial Traveller Crosland Moor, Yorkshire, England
Harriett L Ramsden Daughter Married Female 30 1831 Dressmaker Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Thomas Weaver Servant Unmarried Male 12 1849 Carter Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
William Shinett Grandson - Male 1 1860 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England

alviegal

alviegal Report 29 May 2019 12:51

Here she is visiting young Margaret's parents?

Lower House, Stanford Bishop, Bromyard, Herefordshire, England

William Page Head Married Male 50 1801 Farmer Of 107 Acres Employing 3 Labourers Linton, Herefordshire, England
Margaret Page Wife - Female 40 1811 - Ullingswick, Herefordshire, England
Elizabeth Page Daughter - Female 5 1846 Farmers Daur Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire, England
William Page Son - Male 4 1847 Farmers Son Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire, England
John Page Son - Male 3 1848 Farmers Son Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire, England
>>Elizabeth Skerrett Visitor - Female 60 1791 Farmer Bitterley, Shropshire, England
William Williams Servant Unmarried Male 30 1821 Farm Servant Wichenford, Worcestershire, England
Edward Baker Servant Unmarried Male 13 1838 Farm Servant Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire, England
Sarah Harbour Servant Unmarried Female 13 1838 Farm Servant Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire, England

and her death.

ELIZABETH
Last name SKERRETT
Gender Female
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1792
Age 78
Death quarter 1
Death year 1870
District Bromyard
County Herefordshire
Volume 6A
Page 464

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 May 2019 12:55

Thank you both
That's the right family.
Various branches of the Skerrett family lived at Gobbetts right up into the 2000s.

I'll have another look at Elizabeth with extended family in 1851.

I am hoping to meet a distant relative soon, descendant of John and Elizabeth and wanted to be sure I was sharing accurate information.

Thank you for your help.

alviegal

alviegal Report 29 May 2019 13:08

You're welcome Gwyn. Have you seen the 1851 I posted above where she is with her daughter, Margaret?

MARGARET SKERRETT married one of these people

William Page