Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

windsor street industrial school leeds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 25 Jun 2019 11:22

i am looking for archives regarding the windsor street industrial school burmantofts leeds -- i am looking for information about inmates in the school between 1891-1911 -- i have a relative who was an inmate in this school in the 1901 census -- me and my cousin have contacted local archives around that area and they do not hold any records -- i am trying to find info about my relatives parents or siblings -- does anyone have any ideas about what websites may be able to help

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Jun 2019 11:35

Is this the archive that you have already tried? :-

West Yorkshire Archive Service
Nepshaw Lane South
Morley
Leeds
LS27 7JQ

If it is and they don't hold the records then it is possible that the records no longer exist.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2019 11:47

[Deleted wrong info ]

This page says records are at:

West Yorkshire Archive Service - Leeds, Nepshaw Lane South, Morley, Leeds LS27 7JQ. Holdings: Admissions registers (1896-1908, 1908-30); After care records (1915-25); Leeds Union of Children's Homes, register of children (1925-43); Leeds Union Central Home for Children, religious creed register (1907-27); Headmaster's diaries (1957-71); Punishment books (1931-71); 'The Grange Magazine' (1938-70); Visitors' book (1965-69); Admissions and disposals register (1944-63).

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/ThorpArchIS/index.shtml

Is that where you've inquired?

(EDIT: As already asked by Kath)

West Yorkshire Archive Service website:

https://www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-service/

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jun 2019 12:21

Just off the topic of the school records, if you want to find more info on parents and siblings, have you their names? Do you have any other info on the family eg from the child's birth cert, and thus finding other possible siblings (using parent's surnames on the GRO index).

You might find some reference to family in newspapers on FMP?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2019 15:26

PM of thanks from Linda -

i checked on the link you gave and found the windsor street industrial school i was looking for was replaced by thorparch school -- i did not know this -- i am going to contact the west yorkshire archives again and see if they have details about this school and possibly my relative -- this is the first new breakthrough i have had in about 7 years