Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adamant Mixer?????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 5 Sep 2019 09:57

Does anyone know what an adamant mixer might be or might have done as this is what my 3x great grandparents son-in-law does for work in 1911.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Sep 2019 10:16

Would that be for below, by any chance?, I have a 'Tick' as previously viewed...

Chris :)

Banks John 1877 — 1911 1911 Census For England & Wales Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England

(Adamant Mixer, for Grovebury Adamant Cement Works)

(looks like a certain type of Cement, he was perhaps mixing it!)

04 March 1904 - Bedfordshire Times and Independent - Bedford, Bedfordshire

...The walls are finished with smooth adamant cement...

(above article referring to a new University Building in Cambridge)

Tawny

Tawny Report 5 Sep 2019 10:26

Thank you for replying and deciphering what the original census said. That is the right family. Charles Burr is my 3x great grandfather, John’s father-in-law and my brick wall so it will have been Charles I previously asked about.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Sep 2019 11:31

Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette Bedfordshire, England
21 Mar 1939

MR J R BANKS
Mr John Robert Banks, aged 62 years, of 80 Hockliffe Road, Leighton Buzzard, died on Sunday after a long illness. He was a native of Desborough and came to Leighton Buzzard in 1908 to work for Messrs Beavon and Collett. He was a member of the LMM and played in the orchestra.
The funeral on Thursday at Leighton Buzzard Cemetery was conducted by the Rev W G Legassick, and the mourners were Mrs J Banks (widow), Mr B Falkner, Mr & Mrs W Burr (brother and sister in law), Mrs Harewood, Mr Pollard, Mrs Falkner, Mr Joe Burr (brother).
Others present included Mr E E Digby, Mr S Burr, Mr W E Collett, Mr A G Collett, Mr Janes, Messrs Beavon and Collett (employers).
There were wreaths from his Wife; Mr and Mrs Falkner, Mr and Mrs Baines, Leighton Men's Meeting; Mr Beavon and Mr Collett; The Rechabites; Sarah; All at Tower View; Ted; Mr and Mrs Fennell; Mr and Mrs Harewood; 2 Mill Road.
Messrs Aveline and Sons made the funeral arrangements.

Beavon & Collett, adamant plaster mfrs. Grovebury. T N263
Collett Chas. Ernest, adamant plaster mfr. see Beavon & Collett

http://www.leighton-linslade.com/directories/1936k_lb.html

Tawny

Tawny Report 5 Sep 2019 12:04

Thank you for finding that ArgyllGran. It shows at least one niece attended as well.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Sep 2019 12:23

For info - the previous threads, re Charles Burr -:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1376219

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370298

Tawny

Tawny Report 5 Sep 2019 12:38

Thank you ArgyllGran. There were two possible births for Charles senior on the second thread that I need to order and see if one of them is right.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Sep 2019 21:48

Adamant.is relative to a compound taken from Adamatite Ore used in the production of cement . .ie such as Iron Ore is used in steel production.

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Sep 2019 10:51

Thank you for explaining that Kay

Simon

Simon Report 15 Sep 2019 17:28

Well, Tawny, at least it seems as though your 'brick wall' should be 'finished with smooth adamant cement'. lol