Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help viewing trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

donna

donna Report 20 Oct 2019 21:31

Hi, probably a daft question - I have just opened a new GR account & imported a tree. My initial account must have been shut down due to inactivity. I'm fairly sure when I used to use this site about 12 years ago you used to be able to see basic info on trees without having to message people. Am I wrong? at the moment I can't see any trees at all. Thanks if anyone can shed light I'm a standard member BTW.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Oct 2019 21:50

You can't see trees without them being opened to you by the tree owner. Your initial account will still be there if you didn't remove it yourself as GR don't remove trees but you would need your password and original email to access it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Oct 2019 23:20

What you probably remember is going to Search All Trees in the Search tab above right.

When you enter a name and click search, then you see a list of trees where that name occurs.

You then have to click on the tree owner's name and ask for them to open their tree to you.

You have never been able to a whole tree, or more than that one name.

I should warn you that people are a little more wary now than they used to be, as many of us have been caught by opening our trees and then having someone copy everything even though they really did not have any connection.

Please don't just use the automatic message suggested by GR, which just says something quite blunt, like "Open Your Tree". That will almost certainly be ignored, and in fact many of us are getting an email to say someone wants to see our tree, but then there is no message in our box on here.

Do please give a short explanation as to why you think there is a connection between you and the tree owner.

donna

donna Report 22 Oct 2019 09:58

Thanks for the replies :-)