Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dates changed in 1939 register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KeithG

KeithG Report 1 Mar 2020 20:27

In the record for Albert J Tiley and family in Gay Street Bristol in the 1939 register, the year of birth has been changed for five of the six entries, no reason has been given. I've not seen this before, has anyone else?

If we take Albert as an example, it turns out that there are actually two Albert Tileys, one born in each of the years shown, ie the original and the changed one. It looks almost as if someone later has checked the birth date, found an alternative, and "corrected" the register.

TILEY, ALBERT JAMES HULM
GRO Reference: 1870 D Quarter in CLIFTON Volume 06A Page 80

TILEY, ALBERT JAMES VENN
GRO Reference: 1864 J Quarter in CLIFTON Volume 06A Page 78

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Mar 2020 20:53

I can't help with why this was done but to me it looks as if the alterations were made at the time the record was written out and not later.

Kath. x

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 Mar 2020 21:06

It looks to me as if their ages had been written instead of their year of birth. Albert has 69 crossed off so born in 1870, he would have been 69 in 1939. Hester has 58 crossed out so born in 1881, she would have been 58 in 1939. same as the others in the household.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Mar 2020 21:10

I agree they've all been changed when the register was originally written.

The enumerator has written their ages in the year column by mistake, and then corrected the figure to the year of birth.

Albert, born 1870, was 64 in 1939.
Hester was aged 58 in 1939; Gladys was 23, and Arthur was 20.

EDIT:
Oops. you've got there before me, Alviegal!

alviegal

alviegal Report 1 Mar 2020 21:19

No bother AG, always helps when someone else verifies an answer :-)

KeithG

KeithG Report 1 Mar 2020 21:34

Brilliant, thank you lots, that makes sense.

Keith