Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 4 Mar 2020 21:48

Hi all
can anyone tell me how far back does a dna go?

thanks Barry

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Mar 2020 22:59

Ancestry says:

Your family tree may go back hundreds of years, but there could be more to your family's story that's just out of reach of paper documents and conventional research. AncestryDNA® can reach back hundreds, maybe even a thousand years, to tell you things that aren't in historical records—things you might have never known otherwise.
Although our ethnicity algorithms and prediction models will continue to improve over time, there are a few reasons why your ethnicity estimate may not be exactly what you expected: 1. Your genetic ethnicity may go back further than your family tree. 2. While your ancestors lived in a certain country, there may have been genetic influence from other places. 3. You don't necessarily share common DNA with all of your ancestors.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/legal/faq#interpret-3

Also -
not exactly an answer, but maybe this is helpful ??

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Unexpected-Ethnicity-Results

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Mar 2020 06:12

Well on ancestry I had an umpteen times cousin match and looking in the tree a surname match

I messaged the tree holder and yes we had a match

My umpteen grt grandfather married a widow in1852 and they had children .
She had children from her first marriage and the guy was descended from one of those kiddies whereas I am from one of the children’ of the second marriage

The mum then was the link

Shows it does work

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 5 Mar 2020 23:22

I think if you have a DNA test done, you need to read up a bit about what the results mean. There are ethnic origins and DNA matches, different issues on each. There are a few threads on here about the test results, they can be unexpected.

Barry

Barry Report 6 Mar 2020 11:11

Had a test done gives 2% Norwegian and 2% Swedish which was unexpected ?
does this go as far back a the Vikings ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Mar 2020 12:45

Barry it will depend I think on what test it was, there are different types. Contact the company that you took the DNA test with, they are best placed to tell you how far back these results might go.

Barry

Barry Report 10 Mar 2020 20:02

thanks everone

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Mar 2020 19:37

Well, it might go back to the Vikings if your ancestors or one of them came from n area where the Vikings raided and settled, and that could include much of England .......... of it there was a Scandinavian more recent ancestor that you don't know about.