Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 22 Apr 2020 02:58

I hope some one on here can help me. I have been copying my family tree on here for a while now and it contains three families, Hawkless-Horwell-Cheyne and white. I was wondering if I can split my main tree into 4 , one for each family while still keeping a main tree. I have done so much work I would hate to lose it by trying to do what I said above without some advice.

Roy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2020 03:21

You have to have one tree per account.

You obviously have one account which is a subscription, but you can have as many free accounts as you like so long as you have a different password and (I think) email account for each one.

Set up a gmail account and password for example for each new free account.

Then you could have your main tree on the subscription account, you can contact people through that account and they can contact you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Apr 2020 09:44

If the families are inter-connected, how would you propose to ‘split’ them?

If you want to keep separate records for the branches, your best bet is to keep offline trees on your computer. Plenty of options to download

Roy

Roy Report 22 Apr 2020 22:53

I was not sure how to split them I was just going to deleate some off and try to get one family at a time. Thanks for your help

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Apr 2020 09:42

Suggestion - if you want to keep it all on GR -

You can download your existing tree as a Gedcom file - that doesn't alter or harm your existing tree at all, and it will still be there on your main account.

Then you can upload the file to each of your new free accounts. That saves you having to start manually entering all the people one by one.

Once you've done that, go to each account in turn,
Click on the cog-wheel icon ("Tree Options") at the top right of the tree page on each account, select "Change root relation" and follow the instructions to change the "root relation" according to who you want to start each branch tree with.

The root relation is the person who is initially selected when you open the tree - at the moment the root relation is probably yourself.

Once you've changed the root relation for each branch, everyone who is on your tree at present will still be there, but starting from a different point, and you can then delete anyone you feel isn't strictly necessary to that branch.

But note re deleting people on a tree - it's not always straightforward.

"you simply need to click on 'delete' which you'll see just below the relation's details. You can only delete a name from your tree if it's at the top or the bottom or has no other branches attached to it. For example, you can remove or delete the child of a relation. You will see a message saying you can't delete a relation if other names are attached to that person. You'll need to look at your tree and either remove names from the bottom upwards or from the top down, depending on where the relation is that you want to remove."
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=369&searchterm=delete

And intermarrying between different branches can complicate things, as Erika has mentioned.