Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kense

Kense Report 15 Jul 2020 12:16

According to the latest Lost Cousins Newsletter, Ancestry are going to stop showing matches below 8cM. There are workarounds but you need to take action quickly if you want to still see those matches.

See the newsletter for what to do:
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/jul20news.htm#Disappearing

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jul 2020 15:31

Thanks for that Kense.

Most of my really low matches have no trees and no shared matches are shown. Of those that do have trees they are too small or, if, bigger, tend to be American with no clues as their original English family.

I have also been to a series of talks given by well known experts who dismiss these low figures as being irrelevant and too far back to mean anything. They seem not to trust anything below around 25cms, even if there is a full tree.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Jul 2020 09:44

I found that I had twelve 8 cM matches and three 6 cM matches that had trees with a common ancestor.

When I look at my results using GEDMatch, I usually set the match limit to at least 10 cM.

It will be interesting to see whether Ancestry's new matching makes much difference.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 17 Jul 2020 10:38

https://www.ancestrycdn.com/support/us/2020/07/2020whitepaper.pdf

Kuros

Kuros Report 25 Jul 2020 13:15

I wonder what the point of having a DNA test is if you don't have a tree. There's no way you can check on anything. I know you can send messages to ask to see a tree and sometimes - rarely in my case - you'll get a reply. There's no point to this, though, if your match doesn't have a tree at all.

Annie

Kense

Kense Report 25 Jul 2020 20:33

Somehow Ancestry may work out common ancestors even though the tree you are matched with does not include that ancestor. Presumably they work it out from third party trees that share your and their ancestors.

For example it gives me a match with a public tree that has five people all of whom appear as private and several others with just a few people in them. You can also get common ancestors with private trees.

Kense

Kense Report 29 Jul 2020 21:56

It seems that the change has been put back to late August.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 4 Aug 2020 15:51

Today any Cm matches below 10cM have a decimel point added eg 9.9 etc and the site keeps "overloading" :-(