Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry sold off!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Aug 2020 11:06

Lost Cousins have reported this and there is a really interesting thread on FTF about it: :
https://www.familytreeforum.com/forum/research-advice/family-history-research/1298354-ancestry-being-sold-off

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

John

John Report 7 Aug 2020 16:32

Ancestry now seems to be owned by a hedge fund more interested in medical research than genealogy, so I would like to move my tree. What sites would anyone recommend?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Aug 2020 17:03

Many people on here keep their master tree offline, often using a family tree program as Family Tree maker, roots magic and family historian. Everyone has their own favourite.
There are also free programs but as I don’t use them I can’t help you there.
If you want it on line then they probably all have some sort of issue , Find my past, my heritage and family search. Ancestry still has the largest membership.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 8 Aug 2020 09:32

Roberta Estees Blog

https://dna-explained.com/2020/08/05/blackstone-group-acquires-majority-interest-in-ancestry-com/

Inky1

Inky1 Report 8 Aug 2020 15:29

John,
As an interim action, why not upload your tree onto here?

I use GR for my prime tree and upload a copy to Ancestry from time to time. Of course photos and other images cannot be included, but my notes on here get included in the .ged file. At a guess downloading a .ged from Ancestry would also contain any notes.

Try it and see.

John

John Report 8 Aug 2020 21:37

Thanks for the info. I'll download a copy and do a bit more research before my annual renewal in November.

John

John Report 8 Aug 2020 21:40

Inky, similar to you my main tree is on Ancestry, and I copy it to GR every so often, and although pictures don't transfer the notes do.

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Aug 2020 20:10

My main tree is offline on Personal Ancestry File (PAF) which was issued by the Church of Latter Day Saints (Familysearch).

I find it suits my needs and and handles all relationships.

Although they no longer supply it I kept a copy of the installation program which I can reload when I acquire a fresh computer.