Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Archaeology where do the human remains go?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 13 Jan 2021 23:35

Hi All.
Although I am researching my own family history I am also doing some local history.
In 1948 some human remains and a bronze aged vase was found where I live.
I am trying to locate where the remains and the cup went.
Does anyone have an idea where it may be listed if anywhere?
The details have come to light whilst viewing the National Newspapers archives on here.

Many Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jan 2021 09:11

Depending on their age and significance, one would imagine a local museum would be the repository for the artefact at least.

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 Jan 2021 10:33

Thank You.
I am struggling to find anything but rumour has it they where re buried locally

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jan 2021 11:37

If you think they were re-buried locally then the first place I would ask is the local council as they should know of any local burials.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Jan 2021 19:44

Victoria - couple of years ago, I saw a TV program about Stonehenge.
I think maybe 100 y ago, there was some archealogical survey where they found caches of bones buried under some circle of smaller stones. After they'd studied them, they reburied them all under a plaque buried under one of those smaller stones.

In the TV program, they dug them up - unfortunately, they were all jumbled together - there were thousands of fragments. They knew about the initial reburial from the initial archealogical field notes. I think the bones were kept after the TV program by the university team that dug them up.

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 Jan 2021 22:00

Many Thanks for your replies.
Interesting the TV program.
I came across an expert from the paper and it states bronze age remains where found with a vase in my village. I would love to know where they went.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 14 Jan 2021 22:38

Might the local Museum know, or the Museum that covers that area.