Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find death records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Klaus

Klaus Report 29 Dec 2022 19:48

I am fairly new to this. I am subscribed as a Platinum member to Genes Reunited. I cannot seem to find death records for anyone.

I am looking for people I know who have died in the last 30 years.

When I put the name and year in, nothing comes up. If I search for births and marriages for the same people they all come up.

What might I be doing wrong?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Dec 2022 20:21

The usefulness of GR lies in the paying members who give their time to help others

Use one of the the other FREE sites, such as the GRO for recent deaths, and freebmd for records from 1837 to approx 1985

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Dec 2022 20:38

You also need to bear in mind that GR, GRO, and FreeBMD only show deaths which happened in England and Wales.

I don't know whether or not that's relevant to the deaths you're looking for.

For deaths in other countries, you need to use other sites.

Klaus

Klaus Report 29 Dec 2022 21:04

Thanks to @ErikaH and @ArgyllGran. Much appreciated! and yes I would be looking at just England and Wales. When you don't know something it can take quite a while to find out without help :)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Dec 2022 21:57

Very few of us actually use the records on Genes, which come from FindMyPast.

The FreeBMD ( births, marriages and deaths) is as it says - free. It goes from 1837 and is a work on progress - it is not complete up very recent times. The GRO site is also free but you have to register.

When using these sites don’t put on too much information. For example don’t add middle names on the FreeBMD site, but the results will show middle names or initials.

Good luck

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2022 08:37

Later deaths aren’t transcribed on sites like freebmd etc

You will find them though on the GRO site

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Dec 2022 10:58

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Dec 2022 11:05

There are other ways of finding someone’s death.
Try Googling the name as an obituary might surface. If they were buried they might be on Find A Grave website. Deceasedonline might have it but it is no longer free.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 31 Dec 2022 15:58

Many public libraries in England have free access to both Ancestry and Find my Past. It might be worth finding out if there is one close to you.