Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reporting Errors in Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Klaus

Klaus Report 29 Dec 2022 20:09

I have found a couple of marriage records on Genes Reunited that have mixed the marriages of four people up.

These people are no longer alive. They married in the 1950's

I know that these are errors as they are all relatives of mine who married on the same day and the same place. The online records have them mixed up and don't agree with the marriage certificates.

According to the online records two men have married the same woman and the other woman has married the wrong man all on the same day at the same place!

Who exactly should I report this to?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Dec 2022 20:19

GR does not transcribe records and has no facility for making corrections

Hardly anyone looks at records on here - if the records are correct on other sites, there is not really an issue.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Dec 2022 20:40

Have a look for the marriages on FreeBMD, to see if they're correct there..

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

Klaus

Klaus Report 29 Dec 2022 21:52

Hi @ErikaH and @ArgyllGran. Thanks! At first glance, the marriages look ok on freebmd.

It seems that I am currently in the "Hardly anyone" group until I spread my wings.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Dec 2022 22:00

Don’t worry. We’ve all been there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2022 08:35

Don’t forget there are several marriages recorded on the same page so it’s ordering a certificate to see who married who

It’s not mixing them up at all but just records of who are listed with the same page number