Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 check please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 22 Jan 2023 18:49

Hi

Long shot and apologies I have little information here. I'm trying to help an elderly, almost 90yr old chap, to find some information regarding his step mother.

His father Arthur Feeley b1911 married his 2nd wife Margaret H Buckingham in 1972 in Scarborough. This chap believes his step mother Margaret was much younger than his father Arthur, and thinks she may have even been young enough to have been Arthur's daughter although not confirmed.

He also mentions the name Margaret Hodkin (or similar) as that was what he believed his step mother to have been called. I only found her marriage in the name of Buckingham. I can't find a link between the names Hodkin and Buckingham as I considered that maybe Margaret had been married before she married Arthur Feeley.

Could anyone please do a 1939 check for a Margaret H Buckingham (age unknown) and a Margaret Hodkin (or similar) possibly in the Scarborough area.

I have seen that a Margaret Feeley is still shown on 192.com in Scarborough 2023 and a Margaret H Feeley up to 2017.

Many thanks for any help or advice
Cassie :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2023 18:59

If she is alive, she can’t ( or shouldn't) be seen on 1939 register

The marriage cert would answer many questions

CasCas

CasCas Report 22 Jan 2023 19:03

Ah Erika I didn't know that.

I don't know if she's still alive as 192.com isn't always accurate date wise but she may well be or if not then recently deceased so likely not on the 1939 register.

Thankyou for your reply. Useful to know

Regards
Cassie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2023 19:05

There’s a marriage in 1960 for Philip T Buckingham and Margaret H Hodgson………..

He was born in 1938, and seems to have re-married in 1979

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2023 19:11

As she is on the ER to 2017, you should look for a possible death on the GRO site, which would give you her birth year and full second name. Also, look to see whether the house has been sold

CasCas

CasCas Report 22 Jan 2023 19:38

Thanks for the marriage info. Erika.

I checked GRO up to 2021 and didn't find a death so she may well be still alive. I may order the marriage cert of the chap's father and Margaret and see what that holds.

I was wondering if the 'H' in Margaret 'H' Buckingham may have had something to do with the name 'Hodkin/Hod....".. The chap I'm helping believed her name was "Hod..." not Buckingham. I'm interested to find if she had any previous children. I can't find any suitable matches that indicate she had any children with Mr Feeley (which would be my elderly chaps half sibling,).

Thankyou for your replies??

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jan 2023 19:49

Buying the 1972 marriage certificate would be a good idea as it should show any previous surnames for Margaret.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2023 20:14

Margaret H Hodgson, born 14 Mar 1934 , who married Buckingham, is on 1939 in Scarborough with her parents and siblings

Can’t C&P as I’m using mp iPad at the moment

No record of a death as far as I can see, so her ‘open’ record may be an error by FMP

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Jan 2023 20:21

Here it is Erika.

1939 Register
Court Green Cottage Cloughton, Cloughton, Scarborough R.D., Yorkshire (North Riding), England
1939 register badge
View original record
Household members (8 people)
First name(s) Last name(s) Birth date Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule sub number
Walter W Hodgson 17 Sep 1901 Male Horseman Paid On Farm Married 115 1
Florence Hodgson 22 Apr 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 115 2

The record for this person is officially closed.
Cyril B Hodgson 19 Apr 1932 Male At School Single 115 4
Margaret H Buckingham (Hodgson) 14 Mar 1934 Female At School Single 115 5
Norah M Gray (Hodgson) 16 Feb 1936 Female Under School Age Single 115 6
Colin Hodgson 05 Jul 1938 Male Under School Age Single 115 7
Phyllis Featherstone (Lyon) 04 Dec 1928 Female At School Single 115 3

Phyllis Featherstone (Lyon) is the redacted no 3 so I assume someone must have informed them of her death.

EDIT

Deaths Jun 1973 (>99%)
FEATHERSTONE PHYLLIS 4DE1927 HULL 2A 421

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jan 2023 21:24

Thank you alviegal

Lyon was Florence’s maiden name, so Phyllis would have been born prior to the marriage to Hodgson, which was in 1931

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jan 2023 22:05

From the GRO site she seems to be Margaret Hilda

This may help

CasCas

CasCas Report 22 Jan 2023 22:49

Thankyou so much for all the info!!

I'm sure this is the lady. The chap I'm helping was born 1933 and this Margaret was born 1934 so that fits with his theory she was the same age as him and went to his school!. So his step mother was a year younger than him!

With this info I've found the birth of a son of Margaret in 1962 and his subsequent marriage. His adult children (Margarets grandchildren) are all on social media.

This has helped me bridge a gap in his tree. He's almost 90 and unwell but is really enjoying me researching his tree. :-D

Thankyou so so much for all your help!! :-D

Regards
Cassie

alviegal

alviegal Report 23 Jan 2023 13:32

You're welcome Cassie.

Hopefully the gentleman will gently reach out to Margaret's other family, if that's what he's wanting, and be able to get more information.

CasCas

CasCas Report 23 Jan 2023 19:02

Thanks Alviegal.
We've made contact with Margaret's family today. Sadly Margaret is now in a home and unwell but the family have been great and we're hopefully getting some photos of the elderly chaps father as he doesn't have any photos at all.

Thanks for your reply and the info :-D

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Jan 2023 13:27

Oh how wonderful Cassie, thanks for keeping us informed. Sad to hear about Margaret but lovely to connect with her family.

Best of luck xx