Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry error

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 7 Nov 2023 12:12

I am gradually easing myself back into Genealogy after quite a long break so please forgive me if the answer to my question should be obvious!

When my Hints come up on Ancestry, underneath the name of the person in question, the relationship to me is shown, e.g. "second great grandfather" . When my grandmother's name is shown, however, it is shown as "Step-Grandmother". She wasn't! She was my actual grandmother. I know that not all the Hints are correct and many don't apply to my family, but I am slightly disturbed to find that one that does shows this error. I have been unable to find any way to correct it.

I suppose the sensible answer would be "Ask them" but I have always found that GR members are more approachable on the whole!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2023 12:50

The hints will only apply to you and be seen by you so if you know it to be wrong just ignore it and to be 100% sure there hasnt been an entry error on your part go back over your tree entries,which I'm sure you havnt but best to re-check to satisfiy yourself.

Christine

Christine Report 7 Nov 2023 13:19

Thank you Kay. If that is the case then it's obviously just a mild annoyance. My tree is certainly correct as far as the information I've put on it. I was concerned though that the incorrect relationship might be picked up on Ancestry by someone else researching the same family and the mistake embedded in generally available data. There are many trees online that show a big error in another part of my family tree. My brother has tried to get it put right without success. It seems some people would rather have the wrong ancestors on their tree rather than admit to a brick wall!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2023 14:17

As is very much the case when many just copy what others have down,

You could go back to where your entry is regarding the lady in question and delele her datails then re-enter them this may clear the wrong information.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Nov 2023 15:36

Did her husband marry twice, by any chance?

The error may have arisen from the sequence you used to input her info.

Christine

Christine Report 10 Nov 2023 12:41

Sorry for the delay in replying - family difficulties! No he didn't marry twice. Without looking it up, I think they were 17 and 16 when they married. If it's only going to be me seeing it I shall stop worrying about it! Many thanks for your interest.