Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What relationship is she to me??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 16 Nov 2023 11:16

Hi all. My father had a son by another relationship. This son had a daughter and a son. What relationship would this son and daughter be to me please?

Hope this makes sense?

Regards,

Kathryn

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2023 11:27

Your fathers son is your half brother so his children would be your ( half ) nephews and nieces.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 16 Nov 2023 11:43

Thank you for this. I thought they would be cousins, but what do I know!!!!

Regards,

Kathryn

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2023 12:00

It’s the half bit that throws you.

If it was your grandfathers child, not your fathers, then they would be cousins.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 16 Nov 2023 12:12

Thanks again. Another scenario. If the son was from my Uncle (one of my father's brothers) then would his children be cousins?

Regards,

Kathryn

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2023 12:39

Your uncles children are your first cousins.

Google for Relationship charts - there are several designs. I thought there was one on here but can’t find it.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 16 Nov 2023 12:41

Thank you again. I'll have a nose round for a Relationship Chart. I do recall a long time ago coming across one somewhere.

Regards,

Kathryn