Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anybody know what 'Phthisis Exhaustion' is on Deat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 22 Jan 2005 14:43

Just got G Grandfather's death certificate and it shows that he died from 'Phthisis Exhaustion', in hospital in 1896. Does anybody know what this could be? Thanks, Helen.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 22 Jan 2005 14:44

Sounds like he was worn out from drinking too much sherry !! (sorry)

Helen

Helen Report 22 Jan 2005 14:45

Sounds like my family!!!!!!!!!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 22 Jan 2005 14:50

I'm pretty sure it's TB Sheila

Helen

Helen Report 22 Jan 2005 14:52

Thanks Sheila, Do you know how I could check on this? Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jan 2005 14:54

phthisis is another word for tuberculosis - usually of the pulmonary (lung) type. It was also called consumption. I think it was enough to kill you on its own - exhaustion perhaps means he coughed himself to death as that is one of the main symptoms of the illness. It was a real killer before antibiotics. My mother worked in a tb sanitorium during WW2. nell

Helen

Helen Report 22 Jan 2005 14:55

Thak you so much everybody, that really helps to clear up a few things. Helen

Kaz

Kaz Report 24 Jan 2005 09:53

It´s `chronic wasting away or a name for TB´. Found it on - monmouth(.)com/~sorourke/disease(.)htm a brilliant site for causes of death. Karen

Margaret

Margaret Report 24 Jan 2005 10:59

Yes, its TB Put this site in your favourites list http://www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm Margaret

Joan

Joan Report 28 Dec 2022 11:13

I have just received my step grandfathers death certificate and cause of death at the age of 26 yrs was Phthisis Pulmonalis Exhaustion. I looked it up and another word for TB

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2022 19:57

Welcome to the boards Joan. Always check the date a post was made - you've replied to an 18 year old thread. - I think we've all been caught out.