General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The now extinct writing group.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2018 16:13

I know there are one or two who used to be involved who are still around. Just been looking back at some of my offerings which have been sitting on my computer and also in hard copy on file. Was surprised that they read quite well, not looked at them for ages. Maybe some of them should have been sent for publishing in one way or another. Never mind I have reminisced and recalled the enjoyment I got from the group.

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jan 2018 17:17

Before we were so rudely interrupted ;-) I was going to say:

I was proof reading some of ' The Snowglobe' this week Ann, still bubbling away in my mind but no further. You should continue to write if you can find time and inclination :-)

I took out 4 books from the library last week ( a couple which had rave reviews) and found three were unreadable, and another which was a gift and I just cannot get past the waffle lol ( hence me trying to edit the waffle in my own lol).

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2018 17:57

I read loads some rubbish some very good, mine is probably in the former :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jan 2018 18:15

Not at all Ann. To be fair to the authors of the books I couldn't read, they might well suit lots of people, I just found them too long winded.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jan 2018 20:43

I was never a member of that group .............. but I was an editor (author and publisher's!) in my working life, and still find myself picking up on mistakes in books (and newspapers!).

It really distracts me from really enjoying most books

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2018 21:45

Sylvia I do find myself proof reading as I go, irritating habit!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jan 2018 22:03

It is annoying ......... but I'm glad someone else does it!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Jan 2018 22:14

I also notice when the same word appears too often on the page lol. In one of the books I read last week it was "vertiginous" :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Jan 2018 23:52

I also notice things like name changes in characters, errors in geography, etc etc

drives me crazy!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2018 10:40

Have you tried reading e books? some of the free ones are horrendous, I wonder sometimes if the author actually went to school. I usually give up if they are too bad. I don't think people proof read their own writing. I proof read a newsletter for a charity and am amazed at the typos and grammatical slips that get through before I read it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2018 16:57

Actually it is really funny re-reading old writings. I am reading one through now because it is unfinished and I want to finish it. But the strange thing is I can't actually remember how it panned out and am enjoying reading it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2018 18:16

Ann I lay in bed last night trying to work out which way the house in the story had to be facing to allow for the sun coming in the window at the top of the stairs and how I could square that with what the character might do with the garden lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2018 20:48

Did it keep you awake or send you to sleep?

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2018 21:08

It kept me awake Ann :-) I think i might have to move the stairs ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2018 15:22

Did you actually finish that one rose or was it the one that didn't get finished?

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2018 18:36

It's the one that hasn't been finished Ann :-(