General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Indoor' cats

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2019 22:03

Strange question, but how many times a day does your 'indoor' cat poo?
I only ask, because since one of my cats, Betty (presumably) had a problem with a rogue cat whilst 'doing her business', which led to her weeing in and on my bed, I've installed a litter tray, just for her. George (her brother) wouldn't use, even if offered pilchards!
Now, my sister has a totally indoor cat, who poos once a day.
Betty has access to outside through a cat flap, or harassing me to open the door, so she isn't a 100% indoor cat.
She usually sits on the back doorstep - comes inside to 'do her business' - then goes outside again :-\
However, I can guarantee, she'll poo at least 3 times a day :-S
I will be 'greeted' with one first thing in the morning - I've been known to come downstairs at weekends, just to get rid of it - then go back to bed (I have a very acute sense of smell). When I come home from work, I'm greeted with another one, and yet again, just before I go to bed (or worse, just after I've gone to bed) - another one is produced!
Is this normal?
Does Betty think she's doing me a favour, or is it just appreciation of the litter tray?

..or is she living up to her alter ego - Violet Elizabeth Bott?

Madge

Madge Report 22 Mar 2019 22:44

My Sasca god rest her soul ..... was always an out door cat never had a tray, she even used to pee over the grid if it was raining. However later in life she took to peeing in the bath, I was told by son she had a kidney infection she was sitting in the bath because it was cold stopped the burning. Anyway after treatment I got her a tray took her ages to get used to it. I think she pooed a couple of times a day.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Mar 2019 23:02

I am sure that, should you ask the same of the people on here, you would have very different answers from each.

Betty goes as often as Betty needs to go.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2019 23:21

...but 3 or even 4 times a day? Have to admit it looks quite 'healthy'.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Mar 2019 01:11

Surely the amount and number of times depends on how much Betty is eating. Is she doing a little each time or a 'regular' amount?

Lizx

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Mar 2019 01:37

My 3 go once or twice a day
depending on how much they have eaten :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Mar 2019 08:03

Mr Tibbs has his routine .
He gets me up early ,around 6ish ,and wants feeding . He will eat some of his Felix and then it's out for about 10 mins and then back again

Am guessing the out is his morning ablutions as if I should sleep on he will have used his box !! Coming down on the stair lift the smell rises up as the chair descends !!

He is in and out all day .weather permitting,so what he does when out is a ?? But he will use the box agin later if he hasn't been able to get out

Fortunately he seems to prefer the outdoors to be private !!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2019 11:57

The cats food isn't regulated.
I feed them half a tin each in the morning, and a sachet or two or three in the evening!
There's dry food down all day.
If Betty doesn't like the brand of tinned food, she won't touch it, and she rarely eats dried food, as she has a tendency to bring it up, so she can go a whole day without eating - but still manages loads of poo!

However, if she likes the wet food, she'll swipe some of Georges - but not finish her own :-|
Betty is smaller than average, George is longer than average - both are slim.

Fortunately, neither cat wakes me up to be fed - they've learnt that if they do, and there's uneaten food left in their bowls (as there usually is), they won't get anything fresh until I've got dressed and had a cup of tea! :-D

As for privacy - Betty doesn't care. If I'm home, she'll kick the litter as hard (and far) as she can, until I tell her to stop, and stands and watches me clear the stuff out.
When I clean the whole tray out, and put fresh litter in, she's in the box, using it, before I've had a chance to put the top on :-S

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Mar 2019 14:14

Touchwood eats 6 Felix sachets a day plus dry food
Scarlett eats 1 maybe 2 sachets of felix a day plus dry
and anything else she can scrounge
and Fat Steve eats 2 sachets of Felix Plus dry
They poo just the same more or less :-D :-D

They never wake me for food
But they do wake the Butler
who has to then get up and feed them ;-) ;-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 24 Mar 2019 20:04

My two go once or twice a day.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 24 Mar 2019 20:41

Kucinta Your cats are lovely x

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 25 Mar 2019 17:38

Thanks Joy, I agree! :-D

David

David Report 26 Mar 2019 09:38

As some of you may know we have a few cats, no children, but lots of cats.
FIFI is buried in my garden, she was run over in the next street last year.
ALFIE and FLUFFY are her two five year old kittens, they Poo outside, SCRUFFY is a white cat we used to feed at the door then we adopted it, he Poos outside.
IZZY is an old cat, she sometimes goes out, but comes back in again to Poo, in the trar provided. SOX is a young addition to the group. We don't let her out yet, she Poos in the tray.
Between them they are good company.