General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Self-inflicted Injury

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 23 Mar 2019 10:04

Today for lunch, I decided to use up some frozen raw prawn meat that had been in the freezer for some time.

Garlic prawns sprang to mind so chopped four or five large cloves of garlic finely, as I did with three or stalks of parsley from the garden.

A BIG knob of butter in the pan, fried the garlic and parsley then added the prawns.

Initially delicious, but then increasingly difficult to eat. Far too much butter :-(

As I usually try to avoid too much fat due to my cholesterol problems, I've found that my liver, which has probably been knackered by my wine consumption, can't cope.

Today is no exception :-(

Still feeling unwell, but I've no doubt several brandies will help settle my stomach :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Mar 2019 10:10

Shame, that, Allan, cos I would have helped you to polish them off. :-D

Tried some citrus fruit - oranges etc?

A reminder to add some lemon juice next time as it will counteract an excess of butter. I use lemons a lot with fish, chicken etc.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Mar 2019 10:18

I cant eat oranges, JoyLouise, they make my mouth go 'funny'.

Mandarins may work, but we don't have any in the house :-(

We do have a lemon tree, an orange tree, and a grapefruit bush, but no mandarins.

In our previous house we had two mandarin trees, of different varieties, which gave us mandarins for most of the year.

Back to the brandy, purely for medicinal purposes of course ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Mar 2019 10:20

I am envious - I have forgotten what it is like to have a variety of fruit trees in our garden. :-)

Allan

Allan Report 23 Mar 2019 10:26

JoyLouise, we are fortunate to live in an area that supports most fruit trees.

Harvey, 40 kms to our North, is a major citrus area, whereas Donnybrook about the same distance South is a major apple and stone fruit growing area.

Our only limiting factor is our locality close to the coast, but we have previously grown apples and plums in the garden, as well as the citrus trees

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Mar 2019 10:32

Allan, we had orange, lemon, apple, plum, pear and peach - now, here, only apple and cherry.

I eat more fruit than my OH and most of my pals so I still envy you. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 23 Mar 2019 10:42

:-D :-D :-D

When we lived in Cleethorpes we had a couple of apple trees, a Bramley and a James Grieve (a most delicious apple) a Victoria plum tree and a gooseberry bush.

We also had ornamental cherries which reverted back to kind and gave us heaps of fruit each year

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Mar 2019 12:52

Hope you're feeling better Allan or at least happier with all that "medicine" :-D

Allan

Allan Report 23 Mar 2019 20:52

After a bottle of red and half a bottle of brandy, what injury?

Apart from my now broken nose from when I fell flat on my face ;-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 24 Mar 2019 21:10

Allan have you got too lovely black eyes from your fall

Allan

Allan Report 24 Mar 2019 21:22

No, Sue, not from the fall, but from when my wife hit me for getting blood on the carpet. ;-)

I said to her, 'That's right, kick a man when he's down'

She replied, 'That's the best time to kick him'

:-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2019 22:52

well, you should have rolled away faster!!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Mar 2019 00:12

He couldn't roll too dizzy to work out which way to go.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Mar 2019 02:10

True!!!

Allan

Allan Report 25 Mar 2019 09:45

Very funny :-P

At least I knew that I wasn't on the ceiling as I didn't fall off :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Mar 2019 09:54

Self inflicted injury is a chargeable offence - how much these days ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 25 Mar 2019 10:03

Not sure, Pat.

When I was in the UK Army Reserve I wielded nothing more deadly than a syringe as I was in the Medical Corps.

Well even the bit about the syringe isn't true as I was an Environmental Health Technician. We did do annual weapons training with the sterling smg

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Mar 2019 10:08

I spent 5 years in the WRAF and never got near a gun but handled plenty of syringes (dental nurse). :-D

Allan

Allan Report 25 Mar 2019 10:38

:-D :-D :-D

I bet you were a whiz at drill ;-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Mar 2019 10:43

Only allowed on that to mend dentures :-D :-D :-D

Can't understand why I wasn't allowed to practise a little ;-)