General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

He didn't need to do that

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Aug 2019 14:58

Over the years I have seen white asparagus in Lidl from time to time but, because I didn't know what to do with it, I have never bought or tried it but have always wondered what it would be like.

Yesterday, in a café we use, there was white asparagus soup on the specials board so I took the opportunity to try it.

Well, it was horrible. It might have been alright as a little portion in a top end restaurant but there was too much of the turnip flavour to it for me to eat very much. OH ate a little of it too but it went back unfinished.

Talking to the café owner before we left, I explained that the problem was not the soup but the white asparagus which, after that expensive first try, I would not be trying again.

He then told me he had taken it off the bill.

I felt a bit guilty about that as he was not at fault in any way and I had learned something from it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Aug 2019 15:14

I have eaten white asparagus and it is very pleasant. I am wondering what else he had put in the soup as it certainly doesn't taste like turnip (to me anyway). It is highly prized in some places. OH used to have it a lot when travelling to Holland on business. Because it has such a short 'window' for being ready to eat it is or was then very popular

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Aug 2019 16:23

Overrated veg in my opinion (all asparagus). Stringy and sort of unpleasant acidic flavour which leaves an aftertaste. Mainly it's the texture I don't like :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Aug 2019 16:48

I do like asparagus, not stringy if cooked slightly al dente so it crunches rather than slithers Lol!! I like the flavour though but really only if it is fresh British.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Aug 2019 01:49

Not too fond of asparagus, but will eat it at least once during the 'season', just because :-D
Not really worth the smelly wee, :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 03:54

It wasn't proper green asparagus but the white stuff they force. I like green asparagus in any form and was quite disappointed to not have liked it white as well.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2019 04:05

OH claimed he really disliked asparagus when we got married ............... his parents always bought white asparagus as soon it was in the shops, boiled it for 15 or 20 minutes, then ate it with brown bread and butter (nothing else).

That was the only way OH had ever had it, and thought it was terrible.

Fast forward to about 8 months or so after we married and someone invited us to his apartment for a drink and snacks. He sat us down on the balcony, gave us drinks, and said he was just going to "do the asparagus".

OH turned to me, pulled a face ....... and I said "you have to eat a little bit of it"!!!

It was delicious!!!!

Fred had popped it into boiling water for a couple of minutes, then briefly sauteed it in butter for another couple of minutes.

We've eaten it frequently since then ..........

............ but we never ever see white asparagus here, it just isn't available. Thta means I have never tried it!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Aug 2019 07:52

I've not tried white asparagus.

When I sauté green asparagus in butter I always add a squeeze of lemon - but I like lemon too.

I also like it sprinkled with a little white pepper and wrapped in a slice of bread and butter - rolled up inside so it is like a cylinder. No crusts for me though. (Jess, if you're reading from above, you were the one who first introduced me to this way of eating it, so thank you.)

I wrap it in ham similarly then chop it for canapés.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 11:02

I just microwave green asparagus on a lpate for a couple of minutes and put butter on it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Aug 2019 12:27

I steam it about 3 minutes then put butter on it. Intrigued by the rolling it in ham though, might try that sometime.

Maggie just don't breath when you wee afterwards. :-D :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Aug 2019 13:59

I haven’t had white asparagus but I love the normal green one. It has to be British so it only has a short season. I refuse to pay for asparagus that has been flown from somewhere like Peru. Like Ann, I steam it for just a few minutes and then I like it with melted butter and black pepper.

I have had it in ham at parties but I prefer it hot and on its own.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2019 08:33

Not sure if I’ve ever seen white asparagus, let alone eaten it.

We, also, will only buy British asparagus in season rather than Peruvian grown. It’s still a luxury food &, unlike citrus fruits, not worth the food miles. Our local farm shop sells home grown green asparagus - you have to get there early before they’re sold out!

We cook it one of 2 ways. Microwaved with a knob of butter, or on a hot griddle with lemon juice or oil. Personally, I prefer to eat it with Hollandaise Sauce although melted butter is an acceptable alternative. One year the supermarket was handing out tasting samples with a cheese flavoured dip. It tasted so wrong!