General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importing Gedcom File into Genes Reunited

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 11 Aug 2019 10:09

I have been trying to import Gedcom files into Genes Reunited without success. The files are being exported from both Family Tree Maker 2017 and Ancestry.co.uk. In each case I ensure the file is in the correct .gedcom format, but every time I get an error message saying "The file could not be loaded: Cannot parse gedcom file. The file is not in the correct format.message". I have no idea what else to try. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, or could offer some advice on how to proceed ? Thank you.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Aug 2019 10:39

When Phil Moir left most of GR know how left with him.
There are all sorts of peculiarities in GR handling of GEDCOM files such that most experienced people choose another way of storing their tree.
However if you must try this:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/wiki/doku.php?id=glossary:genes_reunited

Kense

Kense Report 11 Aug 2019 16:50

I have had a similar problem but have not managed to fix it.

The error I have is

"The file could not be loaded: Cannot parse gedcom file. The file is not in the correct format.message. The first line in error is line 80598 Marriage place: Islington St Mary, England "

In my case I have about 4000 people and the Ged file is about 250000 lines. I have Ancestry and FTM2017 linked but there is, according to FTM, no one using the place Islington St Mary, England but several that use Islington St Mary, Milddlesex, England

There is a software program GED Validator which I have used which confirms that the error is in the GED produced by Ancestry. From that I deduce that \I have some sort of minor corruption in the Ancestry/FTM data.

Kense

Kense Report 12 Aug 2019 11:06

I must add that although GR is unable to import the faulty GEDCOM, Roots Magic is able to handle it.

The GEDCOM Validator gives hundreds of warnings the majority of which are about superfluous spaces in the file.

Although there doesn't seem to be any way of correcting the Ancestry tree corruption, the linked FTM version does produce a GEDCOM that GR accepts. Compact File in FTM was done before the GEDCOM was produced..