General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Internet strange happenings.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Aug 2019 14:49

this morning my internet went off for about 15 minutes. On the Churchdown group there were a lot of people in my immediate area whose internet had gone down. Mine stayed on. when OH came home, his internet was not on and still is not, that is 4 hours now Virgin have told people they are sorting it. But my puzzle is, why is mone on and my OH's not (also Alexa is down.). We are on a home network OH is directly connected to the modem, I am accessing via our Wfi. OH is pretty knowledgeable about these things but is completely puzzled.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Aug 2019 17:37

Virgin Media use a technology called DOCSIS 3.0 which spreads the load over 16 channels and up. Perfectly possible, though unusual, for some neighbours to be ok and others not.

Assuming you have a HomeHub3 the easiest fix is just to power it down and then back on. Your OH could use wifi at the same time as Ethernet and have some resilience. If he has a desktop with no wifi it can be added with a USB dongle - make sure it is dual band. Always use CAT6 cable.

VM provides 2.5 ad 5.0 wifi speeds 5.0 is much faster but 2.8 is better with thick stone and concrete walls. For whatever reason unless you override it VM tends to default to the slow 2.5.

Do NOT keep th HomeHub near the telly.

If your VM contract is for 200 Mbs or better then TIVO6 will run fine over wifi instead of ethernet cable.