General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Aug 2019 13:56

It seems that a little girl was swept out to sea on a Lilo from a Cornish beach.

The coastguard had to scramble the helicopter to rescue her and , while the crewman was risking his life to pick her up to safety, he stuck a knife in the Lilo to stop it floating about and causing more trouble.

The RNLI have received an invoice from the little girl's parents for £7.

The manager has written to them to tell them that he will reimburse the sum once they have paid the £7,000 it cost to mount the rescue.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 14 Aug 2019 13:58

Saw that on FB Sharron, beggars belief, some
people have more neck than a Giraffe.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Aug 2019 14:20

I did not see anything about it, however, it is shocking behaviour from parents who ought to be grateful that their child was saved by people (always) willing to put their own lives at risk.

Where were they and what were they thinking of to allow their child to float away to sea on a lilo?

Well done to the RNLI Manager.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 14 Aug 2019 15:00

It's not a 'real' story - apparently an anecdote from the 1980s - probably resurrected following the recent warnings from the RNLI about the use of inflatables in the sea. Which is why I rarely believe in anything newspapers 'quote'.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Aug 2019 15:26

Fake news eh?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Aug 2019 16:03

That must be the reason that I had seen nothing about it!

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Aug 2019 16:43

It was on MSN yesterday.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 Aug 2019 20:20

It was in the newspaper a couple of days ago.

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Aug 2019 20:43

What idiot would allow their child on an inflatable in the sea, let's hope it is a fake story!

Allan

Allan Report 14 Aug 2019 22:00

This was also reported on another forum of which I am a member.

That was two days ago.

The following day the poster added an apology saying that the incident had happened several years ago :-| :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Aug 2019 22:07

Pretty mind blowing that it happened at all.