General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heir Hunter Companies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 25 Aug 2019 10:12

Has anyone ever been contacted by or dealt with one of these companies.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Aug 2019 13:00

I received an unexpected but a very welcome letter yesterday from a Mr Ronald Delgado, Head Auditor, Citi Group Inc. Texas inviting me to facilitate the transfer of the sum of $5,600,000 from the USA to my account.

For my assistance, I will receive 40% of the fund after the transaction.

The writer's decision to contact me was simply because I share the same surname as the deceased American who left no Will or family. I am asked to stand in as the next of kin.

As requested, I have e-mailed back my banking details, my date of birth, & passwords, where appropriate.

Mr Delgado assures me that he will guide me on how to apply for the release of funds.

PS: Strangely, the letter arrived here in a Royal Mail pre-paid envelope.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2019 13:20

My in-laws did, although they only told us about it after they'd received their 'inheritance'. FiL had spoken, when approached, to one of his cousins. That person decided to apply independently.

I wasn't interested in researching FH at that point.
From that angle, the Probate firm had given the inlaws an outline family tree showing the connection to the deceased person, & the names of the other beneficiaries. Later on, I 'bumped into' the son of one of them on Ancestry. They did have a vague recollection of the person in question where as the In laws had never heard of them.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 25 Aug 2019 14:03

Jacky,
I was contacted some 11 years ago.

I did receive a small inheritance from a great uncle who had died who I never knew existed BUT the best thing was that I was put in touch with my long lost sister who I had been trying to find for 50+ years.

But never part with any money.

They did take a share of the inheritance but in my case it was worth it.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 25 Aug 2019 22:18

Thank you for your replies. I shall contact them. As I am the only sibling who has had a letter, I think they must have found me via a Genealogy site.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2019 23:31

As AnnMarieG says, don't give them any money. Ask what their percentage/fees are & try to negotiate a reduction.

Don't make too many plans with what to do with your windfall - you might end up with enough to buy a book of 2nd class stamps :-D

Good luck.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2019 07:55

I did read that some charge about 30% for their fee

You can only know by contacting them and asking

Don’t part with any money though as that’s not the usual way

I was contacted by a solicitor in Scotland when my aunt was found deceased

They went through her address book and found my name

They asked for info on any other siblings and then wrote to them

I did ask them to go through me in future and I would commicate with the others to keep costs down

We did all receive a small inheritance after the solicitor deducted their expenses which were very reasonable .

Scotland may be different though