General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another question re: DNA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 30 Aug 2019 12:39

If a very close family member had a child adopted out & they had done the DNA test, would they be able to contact me?

So sorry to be a nuisance with my questions.
Phyll

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 30 Aug 2019 13:16

Yes Phyll - it would show a close match to you.

If they wanted to find their parents and took a DNA test they'd be matched to you and they would see how close it was.

I have about half a dozen DNA links to people asking for help because they are adopted and wanting to find their families. All are too far away from me say which family is their direct family. Two I've been able say which branch of my family they are from. Also been able to say which area of UK their family came from at the point of connection.

All were connecting with 3rd or 4th gt grandparents so you'll understand how many people could come into that equation.

examples of what I receive re relationships on 23andMe

Your genetic relationship
Predicted relationship
Daughter
Shared DNA
50.0%

Predicted relationship
Second Cousin
Shared DNA
3.87%
288cM

Predicted relationship
Fourth Cousin
Shared DNA
0.43%
32cM

cM are centimorgans - just take it as their measurements, the more you have the closer you are related

Phyll

Phyll Report 30 Aug 2019 18:18

Thanks PatinCyprus
Very interesting information.
Phyll