General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Takes me back

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Sep 2019 16:02

I opened the bathroom window earlier on and heard something that took me back at least sixty years.

It is the Goodwood Revival meeting today and the cars are going round. That was the regular weekly Saturday sound of my childhood and, although there are people who have moved in closer to the circuit over the years who don't like it at all, I love it.

It used to be weekly and I can see that that might have been a pain but it is only a few times a year now and it does sound very right to me.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Sep 2019 16:13

How good is that Sharron and why if people don't like the noise do they move in. It's a bit like those that move next to a church and then complain about the bells.

I miss the roar that used to go up at Wembley Stadium when a goal was scored. I will never forget the noise when we won the 1966 World Cup it was as good as being there.

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Sep 2019 16:16

Or moving next to an airport and moaning about planes overhead.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Sep 2019 16:26

It is not quite like that from what I can remember. I don't think there was any motor racing at Goodwood for maybe thirty-odd years so they did probably move in expecting there to be no more.

There is constant bellyaching in this village about the road that runs through it. They only two people who live beside it and don't moan are a brother and sister in their eighties who grew up where one lives and the other lives next door.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2019 17:32

.......... or the people who move into a farming area and complain about the noise from the animals (cows mooing!!, cocks crowing!), and the smells associated with farming!!!