General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oven cleaning help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Sep 2019 14:27

The racks and shelves in one oven has absolutely thick baked on s..t I can’t get them clean and I’m using Brillo pads, heeeeelp. I think I need to soak them in something but I don’t know what.

martynsue

martynsue Report 30 Sep 2019 14:41

you can get a oven cleaning product that comes with a bag you place racks and fluid inside and leave overnight,cannot remember the name of it though,someone may be able to remember the name.

it is called oven pride.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2019 14:43

Washing soda is pretty good or try a bit of cooking oil.

I have a bi tray I bought from Lakeland that does look very much like large litter tray and it is designed to soak oven shelves but is quite handy for other things.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 30 Sep 2019 14:53

There are various products that claim to do what Martynsue says, and some are better than others. If you believe the Ads, even Fairy Liquid will work!!

Have a read of this - Good luck. :-)

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/kitchen/1406539/best-oven-cleaners-effective-cleaning-products-that-ll-leave-your-oven-sparkling

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 30 Sep 2019 14:55

Fairy Platinum Liquid .

Soak them overnight if they are bad.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Sep 2019 14:59

If you have someone who would like to treat you, then get in the professionals.

I have a double oven and because I have had both knees replaced and then a hip replacement this year I just can't get down to it any more.

I have always said no to someone coming in to do it for me because of the cost but this year I gave in. It cost me £60 (£45 - £50 for a single oven) and I don't think I will ever clean the thing myself again. It is literally like new - absolutely sparkling!

Kath. x

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Sep 2019 15:05

Thank you all for your help, I’ll try Sharon’s idea first as we have a tray that is big enough and we have washing soda.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 30 Sep 2019 15:22

Bio washing powder is always good as well....leave them over night :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Sep 2019 16:42

What about Cillit Bang? Not sure if that is the correct spelling though!

Florence in the hebrides

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2019 17:09

A bit of vegetable oil loosens up burned on bits on the outside of the stove so I imagine it would work on the hard bits on the shelves I am no authority because I have black bits in all the corners of my oven shelves.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2019 17:22

Oven pride is great and no hard scrubs needed
Just put the racks in the bag provided and pour in the liquid and seal

I put it on the cooker top, mines an electric hob , and turn it from time to time so both sides get the soak

I leave to soak overnight too

Gets all the gunk off right into the grooves where you can’t get into

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Sep 2019 17:41

At the moment the racks and shelves are soaking in a strong solution of washing soda and I’m leaving it overnight, watch this space tomorrow :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Oct 2019 13:02

Well the racks and shelves were in the bath overnight and are much better now thank you but hubby can’t get into the bathroom because there is “ some s..t” in the way,oh yeah that will be two 2 litre containers on approximately 5’ x 4’ standing floor space. What he was really trying to say was clear it up but I didn’t :-D

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 1 Oct 2019 13:17

Hi try this
https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/housewares/single-item-mrs-coopers-oven-cleaner/
Mrs Coopers oven Cleaner