General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's the Old Saying.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2020 01:52

Charity starts at home?

But when?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/charities-slammed-as-bushfire-victims-await-donated-funds/news-story/76725bf6a704af943e8451ad1df0cc8d

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 23 Jan 2020 20:08

Dear Allan

Hello

Well, this does not surprise me.

Many of the charities literally "sit" on donations and have no concept of how to distribute it.

I have despaired about the number of scandals that have hit charities over the last few years.

Some local ones have the same people as trustees and management members, who do no work at all. Volunteers are put on and leave.

Rather depressing.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2020 20:41

Thank you, Elizabeth. :-)

The response from the Red Cross was extremely arrogant; 'We distributed funds after the Black Saturday Bushfires (2009) and so we know what we are doing. We have given out some relief money, but we know that more money will be required by affected people not just at the moment, but over many years'

At least the Director of St Vincent de Paul's did agree to get on a bus and actually take a tour of the affected areas and talk to the people. All other Charity Groups refused :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2020 22:01

What are the Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul charities doing with their donations?
Why don't the various charities get together and actually create a sensible plan for all the money?

.....or is that too easy?

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2020 22:08

Too easy, Maggie, and you cant have Charities actually working together, who would be in charge? That was sarcasm, by the way

I will later explain about an exercise that I once did as part of a workshop om waste management/recycling. It will take a little while for my two typing fingers to type out, and I will do it in Word so that I don't lose it

It was a fascinating exercise and taught me so much.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jan 2020 22:08

It would make sense to pool all the money and hit the areas in most need.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2020 22:11

That's everywhere, Caroline, and some of the fires are still burning with temps in NSW again expected to be in the low 40's.

This is just the early stage of the bushfire season :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jan 2020 22:14

Oh boy well they certainly need to get their fingers out of you know where and quickly.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jan 2020 22:34

I don't know about Charity, but some of the high-ups in these organisations have a God complex :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Jan 2020 12:45

As well as being charity hoppers, Allan.