General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 11:36

There are often comments made about someone reading the wrong newspaper - so - is there a truly unbiased newspaper out there?

I suspect not.

If I am right then please stop making (sometimes very unpleasant) comments about other people’s choices.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2020 11:45

They all publish C**p but some much more than others :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 11:48

Trouble is that one persons c**p is another persons absolute truth!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2020 11:49

Very true :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2020 12:07

Often it is not the print version of a newspaper that is being criticised but the online version, which in the case of several are little more than a gossip column with a tiny bit of 'real news' added these days.

There may not be an unbiased paper out there, but there are certainly 'very biased' ones to avoid if you want anything close to the truth.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jan 2020 12:10

Funny how it's always the right wing that is biased but not the left.....

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 12:13

I agree to a point (Rose)

But
One man’s truth is another man’s lies.

Don’t forget the “bias” goes both ways

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2020 12:19

Of course the left is biased Caroline, we all are to some extent, but it is known that the right wing owners of certain papers ARE biased and nothing that rocks their boat gets published.

If you are a right winger, you are probably not going to employ a left wing journalist any more than you would find Morgan writing for the Morning Star.

if you read widely the truth is likely to be somewhere in between the extremes usually . Unfortunately some people only read the paper they have always read, and believe it is still the same paper with the same journalistic integrity it used to have.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2020 12:22

I repeat,

"There may not be an unbiased paper out there, but there are certainly 'very biased' ones to avoid if you want anything close to the truth."

" namelessone One man's truth is another mans lies "...maybe but there is also absolute truth, ie facts not opinion or speculation.

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Jan 2020 12:53

'The prerogative of some publications to entertain has superseded that to inform with comments indistinguishable from news & fact indistinguishable from conjecture simply to create eye catching blockbuster headlines'. ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jan 2020 12:54

Whatever we think about any of the newspapers whether on line or not. As name-lessone says sometimes very unpleasant things are written about the people who read them. I do think that before writing we should check if we are criticizing the actual media or the person who has read it. What we read doesn't change who we are, only maybe what we MAY think.

I admit to occasionally buying the DM to read with my lunch and I also buy our local weekly paper. It does not mean I believe all they say, I am intelligent enough to read other people's views, Listen to both BBC and ITV and differentiate between what I think could be true and what is not. It is all about balance.

One day because I had a long wait in the dentist waiting room I skimmed through the Times, the Telegraph and one other (can't remember which) then the DM at home and to be honest the main news reported in all of them (Brexit at the time I think) was no different. Sometimes even exactly the same. :-) :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2020 13:07

Ann "It does not mean I believe all they say, I am intelligent enough to read other people's views, " yes you are, not everyone is :-D

It is about balance as you say but these days online at least, for instance on facebook, you can filter out what you don't want to read and so for eg Trump supporters only get the posts from pages that support him and confirm what they believe. There is a danger, whichever way any personal bias leans, that people only read what confirms that bias.

Which is why I try and read all sorts if only to 'know your enemy ' ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2020 13:10

Well put Ann

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Jan 2020 16:23

Newspapers & magazines, without highly paid advertisements, are the only publications that have the freedom to print the whole truth in all matters.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jan 2020 19:44

I try to read/watch several media and papers, published in different countries ......... what you see printed in the UK about Canada can be absolute garbage, while Canadian media is not always up to date on the UK ............ though they do tend to quote British papers or reprint an article from one.

But I do agree, that there have been some nasty and upsetting posts aimed at the person for posting something seen in the DM, the Telegraph, or whatever.

I agree with namelessone .............. that shouldn't be happening.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jan 2020 20:03

The Times is read by people who run the country.
The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
The Independent is read by people who don't know who is running the country but they are sure they are doing it wrong.
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
The Daily Express is read by people who think the country ought to be run the way it used to be run.
The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it still is their country.
And Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she has big tits!

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Jan 2020 20:08

'Paper never refuses ink'.