General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Earthquake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jan 2020 16:10

There has been reports of an earthquake (4. Something) on Vancouver Island.

I wonder who caused that ;-)

(Hope everything is ok)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jan 2020 16:16

A magnitude 4.5 earthquake has struck off Vancouver Island, where Megan Markle and Harry have been staying.

The quake was reported at about 1.30pm local time, and officials said that there were no reports of damage.

No tsunami is expected to hit the island as a result, according to the U.S. National Tsunami Warning Cente

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jan 2020 21:53

Not unusual for us .....

............ what is unusual is that many people felt it.

We often have 3 or 4 or more tiny earthquakes (scoring 1 or 2 on the Richter scale) every day, because there are a couple of tectonic plates that meet in this area. One is between Vancouver Island and the mainland, and the other is out in the Pacific Ocean west of the Island ...... that's the one that moved.

I need to go round the house and put all the pictures straight ..... some we have to do 3 or 4 times a month.

It would have been good if it had damaged that flippin' mansion (without hurting anyone of course).

The owner is VERY mysterious, has shielded his name for years, but all will have to be revealed later this year when numbered companies owning property will have to reveal the names of directors. That place has been on the market for several years.

It's rumoured that he is a Russian billionaire who does not live in Russia or the US.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Jan 2020 09:22

I wondered if someone ( ;-) ) had stamped their foot too hard :-D

David

David Report 26 Jan 2020 10:08

It was felt in Lebanon, Syria and Lybia

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jan 2020 10:39

OH just told me there was a quake in Turkey. I'd seen nothing about it.

David

David Report 26 Jan 2020 12:38

Yes and active volcano in Philippines and locusts all over Africa and the China virus

Island

Island Report 26 Jan 2020 13:23

Plague of frogs next

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Jan 2020 13:43

Something to look forward to then :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2020 20:55

well, a plague of frogs will make a change form the news that frogs populations are dropping dramatically.

I guess it didn't make the news elsewhere that there were 9 earthquakes off northern Vancouver Island in 3 days around last Christmas (2019), with the largest being a 6.2 quake in the early evening of Christmas Eve.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Jan 2020 21:06

They can't even blame you Sylvia you weren't there :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2020 21:46

That's true, Caroline ....................

but H&M were in the mansion, although that is in Southern Vancouver Island, and not on the outer coast (ie Pacific Ocean), which is where the earthquakes are happening

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Jan 2020 21:51

:-D :-D don't think we can blame them either to be fair :-)

Island

Island Report 26 Jan 2020 22:33

Locusts?