General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you get varnish off lino?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Jan 2020 11:35

As some of you know, I recently refurnished my kitchen table. But I have now noticed various spills of varnish under the table on the lino!!! Its a rented house so I am obviously worried about the lino.
Does anyone have any suggestions what will remove the varnish? I do have white spirits but not sure if that will burn the lino?.

The lino is not a shiny one but what you would call a matt, if that's the correct description.

Any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Jan 2020 11:52

I haven't read through this but it may have the answer:
https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-lacquer-and-varnish-stains.htm

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Jan 2020 14:37

Paint thinner or turps .might have to *polish* after .I use nail lacquer remover does the job gentle rub Barbara * Senior moment * :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Jan 2020 14:57

I hope you mean 'polish' Barbara :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Jan 2020 16:15

The lino is a soft matt.Im just worried if I dab the lino with white spirit it may burn the lino?

I have looked online but cant find any other product to remove the varnish drips.

Thanks for all your tips

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jan 2020 16:33

I don't think white spirit will do any harm but Barbara's suggestion of nail varnish remover sounds like a good idea.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Jan 2020 16:44

I have some nail varnish remover so will try a little and see if that works.
Ill come back and tell you tomorrow

Florence in the hebrides

Von

Von Report 31 Jan 2020 18:48

You could try Coca cola. I've seen it remove varnish when accidentally spilled on the floor

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Feb 2020 00:38

Is your flooring lino or Flotex, Florence? Flotex is a kind of soft matt floorcovering to feel warm underfoot. Does it have a very short dense 'pile'?

Lizxx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Feb 2020 19:51

Yes liz that describes it exactly. I tried varnish remover and the white spirit but to no avail.
Im thinking, I may have to carefully use a knife and gently scrape it and see if it will come off that way.

Florence in the hebrides

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Feb 2020 00:50

Try googling 'Clean Flotex', Florence

Good luck

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Feb 2020 01:13

......or if all else fails,try WD 40!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Feb 2020 15:33

you carefully markout where the stain is....then taking a very sharp knife, cut out the stain.......now from another unseen clean area you cut out the exact shape of the first removed piece

the second piece should be trimmed to fit exactly the hole left by the first piece removed....

replacing the the second hole with the first removed piece ......

this was the method used by my son,as a teenager to disguise where he had spilled paint on not lino, but carpet,

needless to say his handiwork wasn't quite good enough....

Bob

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Feb 2020 12:07

Ty Bobatarian...that did make me smile.

However…. I have managed by using a very sharp pointed knife. I just lifted the corner of the drips and the varnish peeled off! Goodness knows why I didn't think of this before...

So problem solved.
Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Florence in the hebrides

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Feb 2020 12:16

That's great x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Feb 2020 19:31

well done!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Feb 2020 00:18

Glad you got it sorted, Florence :-D