General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom export

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melanie Deborah

Melanie Deborah Report 2 Feb 2020 18:47

I keep trying to do this and waiting for the file to be emailed to me as it says it will be but despite trying half a dozen times, I still can't see where it goes, nor have I received am email with it in. Can anybody help me please?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Feb 2020 20:24

It will be sent as an attachment to the email address you have registered with GenesReunited.
The gedcom file is text though somewhat gobbledegook to read.
In order to do anyhting much with it you wll have to import it into a family history progrem - there are lots but RootsWeb is easy to use.

Make sure yr email program has not dumped the email from genesr in the trash.

The exported file will NOT have notes, records or graphics or anything from KeepSafe.

The help centre is open office hours. You can email them [email protected]

Inky1

Inky1 Report 3 Feb 2020 17:18

Notes.

Anything that you have typed/saved into the Extras Note and Source boxes WILL be in the .ged file. And that data goes into Ancestry when I upload.

Following is a cut&paste from a .ged download last month from my GR tree. ( For the 140th person entered into the tree.)

0 @I40@ INDI
1 NAME XXXX XXXXXX /XXXXXX/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1781
2 PLAC Rochester, Kent, England
1 BAPM
2 DATE 4 NOV 1781
2 PLAC St. Margarets, Rochester, kent
1 NOTE Baptisms of sisters are in IGI Batch C165121. This is a Female Only Batch.
1 SOUR Church records
1 RFN 221757353
1 FAMS @F25@
1 FAMC @F139@

Yes indeed some of it is meaningless, unless you have the complete code list. Basically this coding provides the links/lines to related family members - spouse, child, parent......

The prime reason why any graphics, etc will NOT be in the .ged:-
- The LDS stopped developing what was essentially their software. To have any graphics would have necessitated agreement on a standard format with other parties/companies. So TIF?, GIF?, JPG? PDF? etc..
And to size. My tree has 5,000+ names and this latest .ged is 1.4mb - smaller than a majority of my photos.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 3 Feb 2020 17:35

GED Codes
From the coding list:-

FAMC Child within "family".
FAMS Spouse within "family".
RFN Record File Number (within a file).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Feb 2020 18:44

The new format which the LDS blocked was based on XML. Microsoft released a version of this which is buried deep in their developer archives. It works fine under Windows 7 8 10. BrightSolid was the leasing advocate of moving to XML. @Ay RootsWeb and the LDS just decided to block them for ccommercial reasons.

Due to the LDS trying to take away the ball several companies developed their own prop. formats and have been quite successful. Most of them will import .ged but will not export it. Thus one of the chief targets of moving to XML has been missed as now there are large islands of data cut off from the rest.