General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That time again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Feb 2020 17:49

Feeling smug because I had plenty of marmalade in the cupboard, I despatched OH to get a jar for the breakfast toast last week. To my horror, he returned with what he said was the second to last jar

Lucky I timed it right because I was able to pick up seven pounds of Sevilles and have just spent a very lovely afternoon cutting, juicing and slicing them and they are now simmering on the stove.

I will put the sugar in and boil it up tomorrow and be very glad I have finished it!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2020 19:31

I remember doing that and it was yummy.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Feb 2020 19:42

How did you break the habit?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2020 20:11

Well it was because my husband was diagnosed diabetic and now it is only the two of us in the house.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Feb 2020 20:32

There are only two of us, which was why I thought we were well supplied with marmalade.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Feb 2020 20:32

So much more taste than shop bought 'jelly.'
Enjoy.

When my parents visited, when we lived in Cyprus, Mum was horrified to see all the fallen oranges going to waste, in the orange grove at the end of our street.
They promptly set to and made marmalade for us, which lasted for the rest of our time there.
I'm the only one who eats it here, so haven't made any for ages.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Feb 2020 20:34

It's about time we met up again Gwyn Then you can have a jar.

You can have another dishcloth too, whether you want one or not!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Feb 2020 20:40

Lol !

Just this morning opened a new jar of friend's homemade Ginger and Orange marmalade..... It's very good too.
I save empty jars and she rewards me with a jar of marmalade... Perfect arrangement.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2020 21:04

I also like fig jam which is made by my cousin, I have that on toast when I’m staying with my Aunt in Australia.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2020 21:04

I also like fig jam which is made by my cousin, I have that on toast when I’m staying with my Aunt in Australia.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Feb 2020 22:26

As OH was watching some funny men running about in shorts on the television, i went out to the kitchen and boiled up half the marmalade

Because I have never quite learned the saucer test, i leave it overnight in the pan to see if it sets, so I will see how it is tomorrow and hope to get the other half done then.

Usually I use Aldis sugar for jam if I can but this is Tate and Lyles and there is so much scum it looks like I am boiling floor-cloths!

Boiling and bottling tomorrow then Now I know just how cruel I was to poor old Fred when I used to make him do it. Tee-hee!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Feb 2020 00:03

Sharron ............. this thread made me realise that we had forgotten all about it being Seville Orange season.

We always seem to have to search around town to find Seville oranges, but we usually eventually find them. I guess they aren't popular because people here don't know about making marmalade with them, and try to eat them :-D

I used to make marmalade every year, now OH does te hard work, and I just help with a) determining setting and b) filling the jars.

I also used to make kumquat marmalade ........ loved that!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Feb 2020 09:29

My Spanish friend said that as a child she would sprinkle salt on Saville oranges to eat them and that they didn’t have the sharp taste, I haven’t tried it but I do it with grapefruit and it works with that.