General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scam ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Feb 2020 14:33

i assume it is because of the price

tv-licensing.co.uk

Your current TV Licence expires today.

To continue to watch or record live TV programmes on
any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes
on iPlayer - either live, via catch up or on demand, you need
to be covered by a TV Licence.

Your year's licence will cost £95.30 and you can renew it
quickly and easily online - but please make sure you do it before
midnight.

maddie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Feb 2020 14:41

Scam. Scam scam

No way do you get any discount for paying ASAP !

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Feb 2020 14:45

It is definitely a scan. The proper website does not have the hyphen between tv and licencing. I put the scam website address into the browser and it comes up as "not secure".

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Feb 2020 14:49

shucks thought i was getting a discount :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Feb 2020 15:40

I wonder what impact it would have on the BBC if we could buy a tv that didn’t have BBC or we could choose not to have it.

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Feb 2020 16:20

i like bbc and watch thenews and many of their programmes, i am not a boxset or modern film person so would be a great blow if it went, i love call the midwife

and NO adverts

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2020 16:27

Yes it is a scam. And I watch BBC as well. And will be buying the first license for 6 years soon. still it was good while it lasted.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 19 Feb 2020 16:52

Yep I had yet another one of these today.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Feb 2020 19:42

Thank you for your recent contact about the future arrangements for the Free Over 75 TV Licence.

Free TV Licences, funded by the Government for all over 75s, will come to an end in June 2020.

This means that all over 75 licence holders under the current scheme will be issued a free over 75 licence for less than 12 months.

From 1 June 2020, there will be a new scheme. Under the new scheme, anyone aged 75 or over who receives Pension Credit will still be eligible for a free TV Licence which the BBC will pay for.

Households where there is no one aged 75 or over that receives Pension Credit will need to buy a licence if one is needed.

To find out why the BBC is making this change, please visit bbc.co.uk/age

If you already have a free licence and receive Pension Credit, you will continue to be eligible for a free licence.

We will write to you in good time before your licence expires, to let you know how you can apply for your new free licence.

Please keep your latest Pension Credit letter safe as we may ask you to send us a copy later when it's time to claim your free TV Licence.

You do not need to send us anything at this stage and there is no need to take any action or contact us in the meantime.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Ismail Karolia
TV Licensing

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Feb 2020 20:00

And what if they don't pay as many will not?
Granny wars.

BTW new TVs do not have any TV channels installed. You can take a flat screen anywhere in the EU and it will work fine. You would get the local version of Freeserve of course not the beeb.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Feb 2020 20:27

In the EU maybe but if you want to watch, download etc anything to do with the BBC you need a license, they aren’t stupid and know what you are watching.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Feb 2020 23:04

Not at all - large numbers of people outside of the UK watch BBC using a vpn client which misinforms the BBC server about location. In the same way uk residents are able to watch French TV. And so on.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Feb 2020 18:23

So not entirely proper then.