General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not sure how I feel about this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2020 20:17

My daughter has just informed me that my eldest grand daughter has a 'shrine' to me in her bedroom :-S

I am her only Granny - her dad's mum having walked out on him and his twin when they were small, and his stepmother is - well, not even to her husband's liking!
She treated the twins really badly when they were small - she thought it the 'right' thing to do - and told me, expecting me to be impressed.

Anyhoo, I'm still alive - so why the shrine?
She only lives about 13 miles away - we have accidently met in Winchester a few times - (if she sees me first, she shouts 'Maaagreeet', like the bloke in the shop in 'Little Britain'). :-| Which is okay, as, if I see her first, I shout 'Flossy Blossy Wossy woo' :-D
She also gets on really well with her mum - I'm no substitute.
She goes to college in Winchester - it's not as if I'm unreachable. Weird.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Feb 2020 20:28

Far better to have a shrine than a doll she sticks pins into :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2020 20:30

Too true! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Feb 2020 20:39

Or pictures on the wall like you see on all those crime shows.... :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2020 21:16

Well, it includes pictures, cards and letters I've sent her etc.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2020 22:01

How old is she Maggie.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2020 22:11

Umm - 18 in April, Ann!

She's very intelligent, with a lovely boyfriend who I met at Christmas.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Feb 2020 22:13

And she loves you.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2020 22:34

Unusual but as Sharron says it is just that she loves and admires you and that is her way of expressing that.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2020 23:22

She (B) is a very loving and lovely girl.
This is the same child who, as a toddler, when my daughter took her and the dog out for a walk, would get out of the pushchair, pick up litter, and put it in the bottom of the pushchair!
B did the DofE bronze, and for her 'activity' helped out at the cub group her younger brothers went to - but ended up 'helping out' for over a year.
B's best friend (C) has autism - so they discuss how they 'see' things differently. Apparently, C doesn't dream in pictures, but in narration.
They find each other 'weird' - in the nicest possible way :-D :-D :-D
C came with B, B's brothers, my daughter and I when we went Christmas shopping last year. This was the first time I'd met her friend and just said 'If you need a quiet corner for 5 minutes, or a group hug, just let us know', and carried on.
It transpires, my daughter had said a similar thing before they'd left, and B was amazed at how this understanding had crossed the generations!
C was fine, despite the Christmas crowds.

Apparently, B's had the 'shrine' for years.
I suppose I'm not used to such admiration!
But she really is gorgeous. :-D :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Feb 2020 01:50

I think it's lovely. Feel honoured and loved, Maggie.

Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Feb 2020 12:46

Yes, as Liz said feel honoured by it. Basically it possibly means she bases her life on you as you are the one she looks up to.

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Feb 2020 13:27

Children/grandchildren are a blessing not given to everyone.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Feb 2020 23:23

Ooo-errr Ann I hope she doesn't base her life on me!

Liz and Dermot, yes, I am definitely blessed with lovely family and gorgeous grandchildren.
I saw one of my brothers, my lovely sister in law, my children, their partners and all my grandchildren today - even my ex! <3 <3 <3 <3 :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Feb 2020 23:54

That shrine is in her bedroom

She can have a shrine to whoever she likes in her own bedroom.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2020 07:14

:-D :-D :-D :-D