General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relocation of children during WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 3 Jun 2020 07:46

My Grandmother was evacuated from Newcastle during WW2 and I am wanting to try and find more info. Does anyone know where I might find those records or exactly what I would have to search for?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jun 2020 08:07

Was she at school?

In this south east corner, some schools evacuated children to the South Wales valleys, where it was felt they would be safer.
I have seen Dover school log books recording which schools those children attended and I think maybe some families who took them in.

Newspaper archives from Newcastle might have information.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Jun 2020 08:31

If she was moved as the war started, like those in London, she would be at her new address on the 1939 register.

My husband's aunt was sent from London to Somerset and is already there on the register.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jun 2020 09:02

Perhaps Newcastle & Durham Family History Society could help.

The offices are in Newcastle but I think they'll be closed temporarily so a phone call to see what information is there may have to be your initial approach.

Newcastle Library has a section containing some records of baptisms, marriages and burials, not only from Northumberland.

Both are worth a visit when they open again. The people in the NDFHS are particularly helpful.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Jun 2020 09:13

This is a good site to start with....Tells you where when and how....!!

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Evacuation

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jun 2020 09:48

Well I was in Kent in 1939 .later went to Birmingham in 1944

I kept in touch with my foster aunt and uncle up till they passed so know the address

My elder sister was with me too

Soo aunt and uncle and sister are open records on the 1939 as they have all passed

Fortunately I am the closed record !! Lol

Our brother was two doors away but he is closed as although he passed away in 2001 he lived and passed in Spain so his death won’t be picked up.

Sister passed in 2002 but that has been picked up

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jun 2020 10:48

I know my mum was still in Southampton in 1939 - but she's not on the register, as she died in Portugal.
Her mum, however is on there - visiting friends!

My dad's mum is on the 1939 register - in the women's wing of Truro prison.
My dad died in 1994, but I can't find him on the register. He's there, but under an assumed name, and I don't know what it was :-(
Apparently, gran sent him (and I presume his sister) to private school.
There he would remain until the final demand for fees, at which point gran would remove him from the school, change his name, and enroll him in another school! :-S